What's up with Nottingham dry yeast new price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the supplier. Here it's $1.50 .

I think that some LHBS choose to sell some supplies at low mark ups to encourage you buy other stuff at regular profit levels. Others say I want my mark up on everything. In addition it depends on how many levels are between them and the mfg.

It is not the markup. Nottingam has gone up in price drastically in the past couple of months. If you are still seeing 1.50 a pack, I bet it is older inventory.

Can you trash the US$ without expecting rampant inflation?

Is Notty yeast a bellwether for the evil monster inflation?

Same with us05 I believe . Used to be 1.75, now its 4.50....I don't understand that. Unless they have something to gain by pushing dry yeast users into the liquid yeast market. Are danstar and fermentis owned by other yeast companies?

$4 for dry yeast is ridiculous. For me, they've just out priced themselves from my House Ale as I brew 3 five gallon batches at a time and I used to pitch a packet per bucket.

Now, instead of $12, I will build up one $7 vial of White Labs 005 and split it across 15 gallons and still have some left over for a second 15 gallon batch.

I'm done buying dry Nottingham. I'll update my Haus Pale Ale recipe after I give WLP005 a try.

$4 for dry yeast is ridiculous. For me, they've just out priced themselves from my House Ale as I brew 3 five gallon batches at a time and I used to pitch a packet per bucket.

Now, instead of $12, I will build up one $7 vial of White Labs 005 and split it across 15 gallons and still have some left over for a second 15 gallon batch.

I'm done buying dry Nottingham. I'll update my Haus Pale Ale recipe after I give WLP005 a try.

Ed, why not just rehydrate and build up the Notty dry yeast?

It is not the markup. Nottingam has gone up in price drastically in the past couple of months. If you are still seeing 1.50 a pack, I bet it is older inventory.

That's exactly the same thing people said after US-05 started showing up @ $4 or more when my LHBS is selling it for $2.40. It's not old, it's the new vac packages so I'd be happy to take that bet.

Seems all (both?) the big dry yeast producers have jacked up their prices. Was at the LHBS recently and they had w-34/70 priced at almost seven bucks a packet! Are you kidding me? Seems that its still available online for a decent price so I'm feeling forced to go that route. Thats not the only one as all the dry yeasts have gone up across the board. Not really a new thing though. A year or two ago Lallemand created a stir by raising their prices quite substantially. No surprise (unfortunately) that others have followed suit.

$4 for dry yeast is ridiculous. For me, they've just out priced themselves...

Count me in that boat. The only thing dry yeast still had going for it was consistency, but I've had some issues with US05 lately, so I'm throwing in the towel. I'll probably switch to WLP007 for everything, I like a little english character.

Amen.

My LHBS wants $6.50 for Nottingham! Needless to say that I don't buy from them...

M_C

I'm guessing it is the same shop that charges $9 bucks for a vial of White Labs and $2.50/lb for 2-row ... you know, that shop I never do business with either? LOL

Sometimes I wish I had the desire to start a business, because this city definitely needs a new LHBS.

Ed, why not just rehydrate and build up the Notty dry yeast?

If I'm going to go through all the effort, I might as well spend a couple bucks more and go with a liquid yeast for a better beer.

My Haus Ale used Nottingham for simplicity and cost effectiveness. They are now not cost effective when compared to White Labs or Wyeast and the other effort is moot since it would be the same to build up starters.

I would not save part of a starter of Nottingham, but I would a White Labs or Wyeast yeast.

I picked up a vial of WLP005 to replace my Notty stash and vial of WLP001 to replace my SafAle-05 stash.

Next up is to brew a 5 gallon batch of 1.040 wort then pressure can it in quarts for instant starter wort.

Back