Places to fill corny keg in Portland, OR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qposner

Reaction score
I have called around to a few brewpubs and some will fill them (Luck Lab, Alameda). However, Widmer said no and that very few places in Portland will fill them. Don't know if I believe Widmer on that. Does anyone know who in Portland will fill cornys before I start calling all of my favorite brewpubs? Thanks!

Laurelwood and HUB will...those are the only two I've ever had do it. Don't often have the space for a commercial in the lineup :)

I have called around to a few brewpubs and some will fill them (Luck Lab, Alameda). However, Widmer said no and that very few places in Portland will fill them. Don't know if I believe Widmer on that. Does anyone know who in Portland will fill cornys before I start calling all of my favorite brewpubs? Thanks!

I think I'd trust Widmer on that. They probably put out their own 1/6 barrels, so why would they?

Also...how are these pubs filling them? Straight from the tap?

The Raccoon will do it for 40. You have to come in on a weekday and ask for Beck...Their beer is really good too.

i've asked a few local milwaukee brewpubs.

none of them will. they say the FDA won't let them because they can't be sure of sanitation before you bring it in or after.

i don't know what it takes to take apart a sanke, but i'm guessing its because you could easily get a corny filled, pop open the top, add some ecoli, and sue.

How is it any different than a growler fill? Or a grocery store selling a gallon of milk for that matter? What if I open a bottle of beer, it somehow gets contaminated, I drink and get sick? I could see the breweries seeing it as an increased risk and not wanting to do it, but not a specific regulatory issue. Doesn't 7-11 permit you to come in and refill those gigantic soda bottles they sell?

I think if you were going to sue, you would need to prove that the beer/brewery had contaminated the container/beer. In normal distribution this comes up with multiple people get sick.

I've had HUB fill a corny for me and I'm glad offer the service.

So far, HUB, Lucky Lab, Laurelhurst, 4th Street in Gresham and Alameda will all fill. Widmer is the onyl one that said no. No answer at Roots or the Green Dragon.

How is it any different than a growler fill? Or a grocery store selling a gallon of milk for that matter? What if I open a bottle of beer, it somehow gets contaminated, I drink and get sick? I could see the breweries seeing it as an increased risk and not wanting to do it, but not a specific regulatory issue. Doesn't 7-11 permit you to come in and refill those gigantic soda bottles they sell?

I think if you were going to sue, you would need to prove that the beer/brewery had contaminated the container/beer. In normal distribution this comes up with multiple people get sick.

Filling cornies is a pain for the brewery, especially if it is infrequent, because they have to have the equipment clean and ready to fill the cornies, and clean it up after, and it takes labor. They don't just have a bartender hook up a hose like a growler, it takes someone in the brewery.

Also, I am sure some of the breweries are a little leery of how sanitary your corny itself is. If a brewery is busy or swamped for production, they also don't like to put out cornies, as it can take away beer and business from establishing new draft accounts.

Filling cornies is a pain for the brewery, especially if it is infrequent, because they have to have the equipment clean and ready to fill the cornies, and clean it up after, and it takes labor. They don't just have a bartender hook up a hose like a growler, it takes someone in the brewery.

Also, I am sure some of the breweries are a little leery of how sanitary your corny itself is. If a brewery is busy or swamped for production, they also don't like to put out cornies, as it can take away beer and business from establishing new draft accounts.

I agree with you. I just don't think there is(are) any overriding regulation(s) that would prohibit a brewery from doing so. If there were, they would seem to apply in all sorts of other situations that commonly occur. In the end, I think it's a service that each brewery should be able to choose whether or not to provide.

Amnesia won't fill Cornies.

5th quadrant (Lompoc) will fill. They're about $55 like HUB or Laurelwood.

Fanno Creek fills for $45. (I've never had their beer so can't recommend)

Yes, you can buy a lid that has that from various online sources, mostly DIY. However, this wouldn't improve your chances of getting it filled anywhere.

Just tell them you thought it's an 1/8 barrel sanke, when they see it hooks up to the dispenser, they'll most likely fill it.

touche, salesman.

i got nothin'. but nobody I asked in mke will :(

Never heard of these guys but they are right by my office (6th and Hooladay by the Convention Center). I will check them our for sure!

You'll need to make an appointment with them, I believe. They have a tasting room that is only open on the weekends, and maybe on blazer game nights?

All their beers are pretty unique compared to others around town, they are "farmhouse" influenced styles and it really shows. I like them quite a lot!

Deschutes will fill damn near anything at the brewpub here. Maybe the one in the Pearl will too.

Seriously, I've seen em fill a Double Gulp cup.

Hi,

This is kind of a late response to this post but I am in contact with Migration Brewing on Glisan Street in Portland and they do full kegs.

http://migrationbrewing.com/

I am currently making arrangements with them to fill my 1/6th just before Christmas with their Migration Pale Ale (MPA). I understand that they need some lead time and can schedule your fill when they are emptying the serving tank for the beer you want.

Hope this helps.

Trip :mug:

Hi,

This is kind of a late response to this post but I am in contact with Migration Brewing on Glisan Street in Portland and they do full kegs.

I am currently making arrangements with them to fill my 1/6th just before Christmas with their Migration Pale Ale (MPA). I understand that they need some lead time and can schedule your fill when they are emptying the serving tank for the beer you want.

Hope this helps.

Love Migration. Haven't asked them to fill my corny, though. Coalition just off of 28th and Burnside is great too. Good choice on the MPA. Its my favorite there. :mug:

Hi,

Hope this helps.

I love that there are still tons of breweries in Portland that I've never heard of.

Lets keep this going!

Fanno creek is $53, but they will not fill with their imperial IPA.
Laurelwood pub - not sure on price - http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/on-tap/keg-sales/
mcmenamins - on a good day
columbia river brew house - $65 for anything under 8%, above that is a bit more, but not much.
Getting more info as we speak. emails and voice mails are out.

Anyone have any more information? i wonder if we could get this as a country wide database?

well i got some more info calling around

Max Fanno creek - $53 (wont fill with their imperial IPA)
http://www.maxsfannocreek.com/Portland_Beer_Kegs_Catering/
12562 SW Main Street, Tigard, OR. 97223
(503) 624-9400

Lucky Labrador - ???
http://www.luckylab.com/html/ales.html
Multiple areas around portland

Alameda brewing - $50 (yellow IPA and holiday ales are $70)
http://alamedabrewing.com/contact.php
4765 NE Fremont ST. Portland, Oregon
503-460-9025

4th street - no answer
77 NE 4th Street. Gresham, Oregon 97030

upright brewing - no answer
http://173.83.5.243/?page_id=23
240 N Broadway, suite 2, Portland OR 97227

Migration brewing - $50
2828 NE Glisan Street, Portland, OR\

Raccoon - Waitress said no
however "randyisrad" said "The Raccoon will do it for 40. You have to come in on a weekday and ask for Beck"
so we will need to try again
Ram - Negative
Rogue - Negative
Bridgeport - Negative
New old lompoc - Negative

Back