Timing after you've unstuck a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
A week ago i had my first stuck fermentation. Stuck at 1.030 from 1.074. I kicked up the room temp and agitated and a week later i'm at 1.016. So i racked into a secondary today.

My question is about length of time in the secondary. Usually i do 2 weeks but since it had to sit in the primary an extra week I'm wondering if it would be the ssame as my usual (1-2-3) if i only left it in secondary for 1 week.

I would say, if you want the same clearing effect as your previous brews, it should sit the normal two weeks. Though, personally, I went away from secondary a while back and have not seen depreciation in beer quality. So if you want to stay on "schedule" cut the secondary down, in my experience a week should be fine.

The yeast needs time to clean up after itself once it completes fermentation. For consistency's sake give it the same amount of time to clean/clear up as usual, not according to a predetermined date of completion. If you are anxious though, it will still be good beer regardless.

I've got lots of beer in the pipeline so i'm not too anxious.

It makes sense that the 'clock' for clearing etc would only start after it gets off the first yeast cake.

i've got 2 oz of dry hops in tehere so ill give it 10-14 days

Back