Just had a bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
Just had one of my bottles blow up right behind my head. Scared the sh*t outta me and the dog. Glass everywhere. Seems a little dangerous.

Definitely from bottling too early. Are the rest of my bottles in danger of doing the same? Is there anything I can do, like refrigerating or should I just play it safe and dump them?

Yes! Get some safety glasses and some heavy gloves and put them in a huge rubbermade container. Good luck and be careful, bottle bombs are no joke.
-Jefe-

Yes the rest of your bottles are in danger of doing the same.

Unless you used a lager yeast, or maybe an extremely cold tolerant ale yeast (scottish) then the fridge will work.

look for bottles with bulging caps. those ones are the closest to popping. stick them in the fridge. the yeast will go to sleep and stop exploding your bottles.

I just dumped 'em. One that had been in the fridge for about a week turned to foam when I opened it. Figured the rest wouldn't fare too well. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

It may have been a bottle infection, which would mean that it might only affect the one bottle.

but you don't wanna risk it. Get those puppies chilled down. It'll stop (or at least slow) fermentation if that's what's going on, plus it'll allow the CO2 to absorb into solution and reduce the pressure some.

What was your FG?

edit: Damn... too late. Another senseless death of homebrew. *sigh*

Couldn't he have dumped all the beers back into the fermenter, let it go for a week or two, and re-bottle? I mean, assuming it wasn't an infection and everything is sterile, isn't that better than dumping a full batch of beer?

Couldn't he have dumped all the beers back into the fermenter, let it go for a week or two, and re-bottle? I mean, assuming it wasn't an infection and everything is sterile, isn't that better than dumping a full batch of beer?

Wasn't a full batch anymore. Out of the ten or so I dumped only three or four stayed liquid. The rest turned to foam as soon as I popped the top. One actually blew the top into the neighbors yard.

I remember when I was a kid attending a funeral, there was a girl opening a soda in a glass bottle and it blew up and large chunks of glass are on her face...Was blood all over the poor girl's face that scared the crap out of me...

The lesson here is that... don't drink sodas, drink beer!

Back