Step up starter or make another?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Plannin on brewin a barleywine(1.110) tommorow morn. I understand I need a lot of yeast to get the job done for this BIG brew. I just got my ingredients yesterday and made my starter with WLP001. I made a 2L starter with the idea of adding 2L more today. However, my starter has a huge krausen. Im wondering if I would be better off adding 2L more @ high krausen or making another starter out of another vial/packet of yeast that I have layin around. Lookin for some ideas here before the BIG day tommorow. :D

Dude, starting a new starter with only half a day left? Since you're gonna need like 350 billion cells and you got about 200 billion from that starter, the other vial alone would get you close enough (100 billion per vial/packet) as long as it's the same strain.

I'd go with the extra yeast starter just to be safe, if you can do it. The last thing you need is an incomplete fermentation on a beer this size and this expensive. I usually plan a pale ale or something similar before my barleywines so that I have an entire yeast cake to make sure I have plenty of fresh, healthy yeast.

Back