plate chiller herms system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazin

Reaction score
I am in the process of designing a single tier brew sculpture to build this summer. I am considering making it a herms system and had an idea pop into my head. Would it be possible to use a plate chiller to double as the heat exchanger for the system? Basically instead pumping the wort through a copper coil submerged in the HLT, you would use two pumps; one to recirculate the wort through the wort side of the chiller, and the other pump to recirculate water from the HLT through the water side of the chiller (heater in this case). Then when it comes time for chilling, you just disconnect the hlt and hook up a garden hose, or if you need colder water, keep it hooked up to the hlt and use it as a recirculating ice bucket. Any reason this wouldn't work/ be a bad idea?

Never mind, I found my answer in the forums, seems like I would have problems with clogging....makes sense. Now back to writing my research paper for school...

Back