automotive tank heater = RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
The use of aluminum in acidic conditions has loosely been connected with Alzheimer's disease. If it were brass or stainless it would be perfect (and 3 times the price).

From Brad Smith, PhD

"I feel it is important to address a number of myths about aluminum. First, aluminum pots are not linked to Alzheimer’s disease. A number of medical studies since the 1970′s have found zero link between Alzheimer’s and the use of aluminum. Keep in mind that every day you drink soda from aluminum cans (though most are lined) and eat food prepared in aluminum cookware – it is safe.

A second myth is that aluminum will react with acidic content of the wort and either add off flavors or eat away at your pot. This is also untrue – water has a pH of7.0, your wort has a pH of around 5.2, while spaghetti sauce can run as low as 4.6 and the most acidic diet sodas you drink run as low as 2.5. For comparison, battery acid has a pH of 1.0. Your wort is simply not acidic enough to react with your aluminum pot."

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/08/17/aluminum-vs-stainless-best-beer-brewing-pots/

I think you'd have problems with wort scorching- I ASSUME that this uses a pretty short High Density element to heat the oil. Not a big problem with oil, but probably not good for you wort. That said, I don't actually know what element it uses, but I would think you'd want something as low-density as possible in a RIMS to spread out the heating in your tube.

"Keep in mind that every day you drink soda from aluminum cans (though most are lined) and eat food prepared in aluminum cookware – it is safe."

If aluminum is perfectly safe why do they have to line the cans? There has to be a reason to separate the food with the can right? Companies would not spend extra money to apply the liner if it made no difference.

"Keep in mind that every day you drink soda from aluminum cans (though most are lined) and eat food prepared in aluminum cookware – it is safe."

If aluminum is perfectly safe why do they have to line the cans? There has to be a reason to separate the food with the can right? Companies would not spend extra money to apply the liner if it made no difference.

Something as acidic as soda, left in the cans for months, can leech flavors from the aluminum. This does not mean that short term, low acid contact will leech enough to taste.

I think enough people just didn't like the taste. Some people still don't like to drink from cans, even if they are lined.

Back