Boil kettle strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I just got a new BK and installed this strainer. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html
It drained great for the first couple gallons, but then got all blocked up and I had to really force the last 2 gallons down. I also used one of those strainer funnels, but I still ended up with tons of solids in my carboy. I did try to whirlpool it while chilling but it definitely didn't make a neat little cone of crap at the bottom. Any suggestions on how to improve this?

Let me guess- you used pellet hops directly in the boil (no hop strainer of any sort)? Bazooka screen are intended to work with leaf hops, which are widely available, if that's how you want to roll ;)

A good whirlpool will absolutely make a cone of crap at the bottom of your kettle... but it's near useless if you: 1) pump out of kettle to chill or recirculate, 2) don't wait at all after your boil ends to move your wort, or 3) don't whirlpool correctly. To get this cone of crap you speak of, as soon as your boil is complete, get a nice vortex going- for a 5 gallon batch, this can take a good 45-60 seconds of consistent stirring around the outermost part of the kettle. Once it's going real good, let it sit for 5-10 minutes (if you have flameout hop additions, this is when you'll be extracting all that aroma)- you can cover it if you like. Once your whirlpool is complete, gently (read "slowly") rack to your fermenter.

Cheers!

No, I was using a copper coil immersion chiller, and I used the valve at the bottom of the pot to drain. I did try to get a good whirl going and let it sit a few minutes while I ran the chiller.
I was under the impression that pellets are usually more available. I'm planning to convert the BK to electric, I'm assuming I don't want the nylon type hop bags right on the element? So use the tea ball type?

I have a similar question but I wanted to know pro/cons of using a bazooka screen over a false bottom in my BK and a MT. The pro I see is maybe an easier design/installation/removal with a bazooka screen. I want to filter out any particles that would clog my plate chiller. I haven't gone AG yet but I imagine a problem with clogging pre-boil much like the post boil hop clogging issues. Maybe BIAB?

Back