Tropical Black Ale Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been brewing for less than a year but wanted to share this extract recipe success. It's an Imperial Black Ale (or Imperial Black IPA). It's a dark beer, smooth with a clean finish, grapefruit aroma with tropical fruit and raisin notes and creamy beige head. According to Beersmith: 33.5 SRM, 8.9% ABV, and 98 IBUs.

Steeping Grains (steep at 155 for 30 mins):
1lb Crystal 40
8oz Carafa III
3.5oz Special B
3.2oz Roasted Barley
3.2oz Crystal 120

Malts:
4lbs 2oz Light Dry Malt Extract, add at beginning of boil
6lbs 10z Pale Liquid Malt Extract, add at 10 mins to end of boil

Hops:
.5oz Cenntennial at 60 mins
.5oz Columbus at 50 mins
1oz Summit at 30 mins
1oz Citra at 20 mins

Yeast: 2 packets of Safale American US-05

Boiled for 60 minutes. Whirlfloc added 10 minutes to end of boil. I used Citra leaf instead of pellets because LHBS was out of Citra pellets. This isn't cheap, but you get a high gravity, delicious beer out of it.

Expected OG: 1086, Measured: 1085
Expected FG: 1019, Measured: 1020

Had in primary for 2 weeks and straight to bottles. Opened first one after 4 weeks and it was outstanding - smooth and tasty. The other homebrew I made with Safale 05 was similarly smooth and very drinkable early. I expected it to be hoppier - it's there but not overwhelming. Could be dry hopped with Citra.

Since I have all these grains and some hops in the freezer, I may brew another batch and make some adjustments. Feedback or thoughts on this recipe appreciated.

That does sound good. When you make this again, let it have 3 to 4 weeks in the primary with Citra dry hops for the last week. I think the hop aroma and flavor will blow you away.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll probably put in secondary for the dry hopping. I also may reduce the gravity to lower the cost of making the beer.

I wouldn't even bother with secondary. Just make sure the fermentation is over so the yeast action doesn't scrub out the aroma that you want.

That sounds good. I love a good hoppy cda. I think I'm going to have to brew one of these up next. Thanks for the recipe!

Roasted barley doesn't stand out to me (only 1.5% of grain bill). I did consider chocolate malt instead, so that's another possibility in a recipe change. I also originally had carafa II in the recipe but the LHBS only had carafa III, which I think was an improvement. I poured another last night and marveled at just how dark this beer is. It's got a great finish IMO, and dry. Still early so I'm excited to see it improve with a little more age.

Back