HEPA filters life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
About how long do you use your HEPA filter for aerating your wort before replacing it?? Mine looks fine (no visible mold) but can it harbor nasties?

About how long do you use your HEPA filter for aerating your wort before replacing it?? Mine looks fine (no visible mold) but can it harbor nasties?

The instructions that came with my pump/filter kit said it lasts about a year with normal use. Unfortunately it fell into the StarSan solution after its maiden voyage ... they aren't supposed to get wet, so I'll be replacing it since I'd rather spend the $ for peace of mind.

I work for a filtration laboratory and spend 50+ hours a week conducting tests on HEPA filters and wanna-be HEPA filters. Depending on how big your filter is, it should last a very very very long time, for as little air as it sees. As long as you are getting air through it, it is fine. Actually, the more "dirty" a filter becomes, the efficiency of the filter media improves. So as long as it stays dry and doesn't get moldy, don't replace unless it is completely plugged up and you can't get air to go through it.

CHEERS!

Back