can I use munich as a base grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
I just got in on a bulk grain buy in my area and I split a bag of Munich thinking that I would use a lot in my Oktoberfest brews. I took a look at some of the Oktoberfest recipes on here and I noticed that you don't use as much Munich as I thought.

Could I use Munich as a base malt for a smash. Is Munich going to give me enough points to make a 5% beer?

Thanks
Craig

Munich can convert itself, so it would be fine in a SMaSH. ABV? Just a matter of using enough.

I agree. From what I have read it has enough enzymes to convert itself so have at it. Perhaps do some iodine tests to ensure you have conversion.

Depends on the maltster. Some domestic maltsters use 6-row for Munich. I wouldn't use that as a base malt.

Depends on the maltster. Some domestic maltsters use 6-row for Munich. I wouldn't use that as a base malt.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If a maltster made munich out of 6-row would it not have even more diastatic power and therefore be even better on it's own?

Have a keg of a Munich SMaSH in my kegerator right now, actually a 3.4% session beer and it is pretty tasty stuff...

Thanks for all of the respones. I think I'm going to make a SMaSH with Munich and Cascade or cenntennial. I post how it turns out.

100% Dark Munich can take a little to convert, but light Munich shouldn't have any problems. I often use both malts to up to 100% in the grist.

Kai

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If a maltster made munich out of 6-row would it not have even more diastatic power and therefore be even better on it's own?

Yes, but generally not very good flavor. I've made the mistake of using a high % of Briess Munich in a beer...I was not happy at all! OTOH, I've made many fine all Munich beers using continental or even Great Western Munich.

Back