July 25, 2009 22nd Annual Southern California Regional Homebrew Championship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
22nd Annual Southern California Regional Homebrew Championship

Anyone else going to enter this competition? Entry deadline is this Saturday, July 11th.

Drop off places:
Beer, Beer, and More Beer (Riverside or Concord)
Beer, Wine and Cheese Making Shop (Woodland Hills)
O'SHea's - Laguna Niguel
Murietta Home brew Emporium
Culver City Homebrew Supply Shop

Ship beer to:
IEB c/o Main Street Brewery
300 North Main Street
Corona, CA. 92880

It looks like I might be a judge at this competition! I can't wait. I'm going to be doing my BJCP homework for the next couple weeks. Aside from my possible judging, I am also entering 7 beers:

#85 29 And Counting American Dark Lager (Category 4A)
#86 Fat Tuba Pale Ale American Pale Ale (Category 10A)
#87 Amber Ale American Amber Ale (Category 10B)
#88 American IPA (Category 14B)
#89 5-Quarter American Stout (Category 13E)
#90 Hop Wholesale Imperial IPA (Category 14C)

And, defending my 2nd place in the category last year:
Coconut Stout (Fruit Beer Category 20), my 5-Quarter Stout with Coconut added

Aw, I would have gotten something ready if I had know. I've been wanting to submit to a competition. Good luck with your beers and enjoy the judging!

Brewsmith, I was just talking with someone about the possibility of a coconut beer, and stout came to mind as a potential base. Did you add fresh shaved coconut, or a juice blend of some juice? Secondary, primary, boil? Just curious how this would work. Sounds intriguing.

I just add coconut extract to the glass/bottle. I use a little syringe to measure out the extract and put it into the bottle, then fill the bottle. Last year I used about 0.8 mL per 12 oz.

So I judged today at the competition and had a great time. The guys organizing it and everyone from the Inland Empire Homebrewers were a great group of people. In the morning I helped judge the flight of Cream Ale/Blonde Ale and after lunch I helped with Belgian Tripel. It was a great learning experience being my first time judging, but everything went smoothly. Having now been on the other side of the score sheet, I can see how much work goes on to do a comp and judge accurately and fairly.

The rest of the judging is tomorrow, and unfortunitely I cannot be there for that or awards. Any info on winners that I get I'll try to pass along tomorrow.

If anyonw ever gets a chance to judge, take it. You will learn a ton and have a great time doing it.

Okay, so the comp is definitely over and I can spill the beans...

When I left yesterday, I found out that my Pale Ale won first place and that at least one of my IPA/IIPAs also placed. I want to say that I had at 3 awards yesterday, and there was more judging today. As soon as I know more, I'll post.

And the winner of Best of Show gets their beer made at the brewery we did the comp at...

Good work! Is the BOS going to become a regular beer, or just a special release?

I was looking for the results...thanks for posting. One thing I noticed is that the category numbers are off from what the BJCP document (linked on the IEB site) states. I hope that my beer ended up in the correct category.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that either. We did the judging according to the BJCP styles, although several categories were broken down into the individual sub-catagories for judging. They may have changed things around for awards.

Back