Austin Homebrew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
I was thinking about purchasing a Raspberry Wheat kit from AHS. I've read they have good products. How are their kits overall? Should my first order be a wheat? I've made an IPA and a Stout so far.

P.S. What exactly is a "Mini-Mash" kit? How is it different from regular extract kits?

Mini mash means you are gonna have to mash the grains to get the sugars out of them, by holding the temps at conversion temps. basically you are doing all grain but still using LME for most of your fermentables. AHS kits are great, but I would bet the raspberry wheat gets its raspberry flavor from extract which some people find to taste soapy. You might be better off getting a regular wheat kit and putting some raspberry's in the secondary.

I'd follow Ryanh's suggestion to get a regular wheat kit and add some real raspberries yourself. Also, for a new brewer I would recommend you stick with the extract kit (I'm pretty sure AHS extract kits come with steeping grains) rather than the mini-mash; you can move up after you get a few more brews under your belt.

Back