Denver CMC group grain buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
This is the group buy thread for the Denver/Front Range group buy from Welcome to the Future of Your Beer!.

Since Dahoov ordered a ton of grain last time, I have offered to take over planning the logistics for group grain buy #6. The info is mostly the same as last time, but here is the basic run-down:

The price break is at 1000 lbs. No further breaks are available. As an FYI the 5000 lb break is for commercial operations.

The price for all malted barley is 75 cents per lb or $37.50 per 50 lb sack.

The price for all malted wheat is 85 cents per lb or $42.50 per 50 lb sack.

Unmalted grain prices are now in the spreadsheet.

Shipping is a flat $150 to the Denver Metro area.

I live in Boulder, but Dahoov has offered to host the delivery at his place again. This will allow for people to pick up their grain at their leisure. He works from home so scheduling pick up times should be easy.

Jason indicated they can do a special Belgian style malt in the 3-4 Lovibond range if there is enough interest. They malt in batches of 4000lbs but he said if we can come up with greater than 500 lbs he is confident he can sell the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason At CMC View Post

The Belgian Style Pale malt is similar to our standard Colorado Base Pale malt which is 2.0 - 2.5 L but the "Belgian Style" is 3.0 - 4.0 L which is slightly darker and a slight kiln modification is necessary to achieve the darker color in stage 2 and 3 of the kiln schedule.
Currently they don't have any pilsner or white wheat due to demand and back orders. He believes that by October they should be caught up and will have some for us.

After discussion about payment we agreed that it made more sense for one person to collect payment and give them one check. I am willing to collect the money and write the check. We can also open an escrow account but I don't know if there is a fee for this or how the logistics work. Suggestions how to handle payment are welcome.

A late January delivery will give us plenty of time to get everything in order and should also allow for the pilsner and white wheat malts to be available.

If people don't want a full sack, we can split them up for people at the house but we will need to make sure the orders total 50 lbs. The last of the grain that doesn't total 50 lbs will be dropped from the order.

I will post a link to the spreadsheet shortly.

Well, I can't think of anything else. As I get updates I will edit this post so check back.

I'm interested in a bag.

I think in one of the previous Denver group buys, CMC dropped off a portion in CO Springs on their way up to Denver.

If we get enough people from CO Springs, can we arrange something similar?

I am in for 3 bags of pale and 1 bag of pilsner again (pils will be available?). Thanks for putting this together, and for Dahoov who has been awesome to let us all use his garage for storage.

Chromados

Is this buy a go?

Good question.

Indeed a good question.

Hopefully Musketear is just too busy patrolling our ski hills to get back with us.

I uploaded a blank spreadsheet to Google Docs. Here is the link. I looked it over for formatting but if anyone sees some errors feel free to correct them.

I am willing to host the grain delivery again but I don't want to handle the payments again.

Im in for probably 200lbs of grain depending on what is going to be available and would love to try out the belgian malt

So I added my sack to the spreadsheet, but I dont see anyone else's on there. Am I not seeing the correct one?

coypoo said:
So I added my sack to the spreadsheet, but I dont see anyone else's on there. Am I not seeing the correct one?

That is the correct one. I didn't add anything to it. I am still set from last time.

I corrected some calculations in the spreadsheet and added some stuff for Chromados and BlindOwl. Please update the spreadsheet located here (still the same spreadsheet I linked before) if I guessed wrong.

Since we have not heard back from Musketear perhaps a Moderator can add the link to the spreadsheet to the first post for us please?

How many times can I link to the same spreadsheet in this post?

Perhaps I have been drinking homebrew:mug:

Wow you live way South East.

I am up by Longmont (just off I25) if any Northern front range people want to get some that I could pick up and hold for them (for a homebrew perhaps?). I'm also up in Ft. Collins once or twice a week and could possibly meet up there to drop off some grain.

acefaser, I live near Longmont as well. I think I'll only need 1 sack this time. If you are willing to pick up some grain for me I'd be happy to trade you some homebrew in exchange for pickup.

Wow you live way South East.

I am up by Longmont (just off I25) if any Northern front range people want to get some that I could pick up and hold for them (for a homebrew perhaps?). I'm also up in Ft. Collins once or twice a week and could possibly meet up there to drop off some grain.

I live up in Fort Collins and was planning on making it down to Denver for the buy if you wanted to meet up and carpool or something like that.

I just peeked at the spreadsheet thought and we are no where close enough for having the buy go though in my opinion, only 450 pounds. So unless many more people get in on this, it does not look like it will be going through.

Chromados

loctones said:
acefaser, I live near Longmont as well. I think I'll only need 1 sack this time. If you are willing to pick up some grain for me I'd be happy to trade you some homebrew in exchange for pickup.

Sure!

I can't tell for sure from the OP's first post whether the white wheat is available. Musketear, could you clear this up?

Hi All,

I was thinking about going in on this, but I have a question: is the CO Base Pale 2-row american? I mostly brew american IPA's so that is what I would be looking for.

Thanks,

John

Hi All,

I was thinking about going in on this, but I have a question: is the CO Base Pale 2-row american? I mostly brew american IPA's so that is what I would be looking for.

Thanks,

John

Grown and malted right in your backyard. A lot of CO breweries use CMC malt.

No doubt. I was able to find a cached page on google (their site is down) and found out that it is 2-row pale.

Now, how do you guys store that much grain? Do you leave it in the sack, or transfer to containers to keep fresh longer?

dyneq said:
No doubt. I was able to find a cached page on google (their site is down) and found out that it is 2-row pale.

Now, how do you guys store that much grain? Do you leave it in the sack, or transfer to containers to keep fresh longer?

I've kept mine in the sack. You can store it all different ways though. Do a search for grain storage and you'll see a ton of good ideas

I'm in for 100 lbs. 300 to go. I searched around about storage and the homer buckets from HD seem to be an inexpensive solution.

I guess I better order my mill now! I haven't done the math, but going to bulk and buying a mill should pay for itself pretty quick, right? Plus it's nice to have control over the crush.

I'm in for 100 lbs. 300 to go. I searched around about storage and the homer buckets from HD seem to be an inexpensive solution.

I guess I better order my mill now! I haven't done the math, but going to bulk and buying a mill should pay for itself pretty quick, right? Plus it's nice to have control over the crush.

I have been using the homer buckets for a long time to store my grain and I really like them, but some times they can be a PITA to get the lids off if they are on really tight.

I think when I bought my barley crusher a couple years ago I figured that with 3 sacks from a bulk buy (the first buy from CMC like 2 years ago was quite a bit cheaper even than it is now) plus the cost of the mill will about equal the cost from a homebrew shop.

Chromados

I have been using the homer buckets for a long time to store my grain and I really like them, but some times they can be a PITA to get the lids off if they are on really tight.

The buckets are great for 25 pounds each, but sometimes the lids just will not come off. I use the homer buckets for long term storage and a 10 gallon dog food container for the 2-row that I am currently using.

I am in for 200 lbs and the spreadsheet has been updated.

OK, I'll probably rock the cheap buckets then. I actually have a lid tool that I got with my fermenter from AHS. At first, I was a little miffed at the price for what it is, but it's so worth it.

I want in but only if we can get a co springs drop off. There are a lot of areas for a quick drop off on 25.

I don't want to add to the spreadsheet and then back out if we can't get enough co springs buyers.

How many lbs do we need to get them to make a stop in co springs? Also, who is handling the money?

dyneq said:

My LHBS charges 1.85/lb; at 0.75/lb in bulk, the savings added up very quickly

For those in the springs:

I'm not sure if I'll be buying any this round, but I work in Aurora and will pick it up from Dahoov's place and bring it down for anybody who would prefer that. Let me know.

Erik

Also, costco at this time has air lock storage containers for 26.99 which will hold just over (2-5#) a full sack. Air tight and dry.

For those in the springs:

I'm not sure if I'll be buying any this round, but I work in Aurora and will pick it up from Dahoov's place and bring it down for anybody who would prefer that. Let me know.

Erik

Also, costco at this time has air lock storage containers for 26.99 which will hold just over (2-5#) a full sack. Air tight and dry.

Awesome. I'll take you up on this if it's not a problem.

Not at all. That's why I threw it out there. I'd like to make it as easy on CMC as possible to keep prices down and keep them willing to deal with us.

Stretch im in for 250# myself. I know the pick up dates are on Saturdays would u be able to pick mine up too?

Back