What cigars go good with what beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I was drinking my first batch I ever brewed yesterday and it was an esb. My bro asked me if I wanted to smoke a cigar and I agreed.

Most cigar smokers don't like drinking beer with the cigar but I do. I actually really enjoyed the way my english pale ale complimented my medium boddied cigar. Anyone know any other good cigar/beer comparisons?

I was drinking my first batch I ever brewed yesterday and it was an esb. My bro asked me if I wanted to smoke a cigar and I agreed.

Most cigar smokers don't like drinking beer with the cigar but I do. I actually really enjoyed the way my english pale ale complimented my medium boddied cigar. Anyone know any other good cigar/beer comparisons?

I love beer and cigars!

Check out some of the cigar forums on the web. I personally am a member to Puff, a lot of good guys there and some good threads. Do a quick search and you should find some great ideas. I find a lot of finding what pairs well is trial and error, but you may be pointed in a good direction. check it out.

I love a montecristo and a good malty bock. Gotta be almost flat though, I don't like the carbonation when I smoke. I haven't found many hoppy beers I like with cigars.

I like a darker beer with losts of nutty/chocolate/caramel falvors with my medium to full bodied maduro smokes.

An american barleywine with a medium-bodied cigar was pretty tasty. The other week my Ordinary Bitter paired very well with a Rocky Patel 1999 Connecticut.

I was thinking a Les Jimes by la aurora with a nice brown ale... yum. Or even a nice light cigar with a heffe...

I haven't tried this combo, but I imagine it would be good. Rocky Patel 1961 with a Belgian Witbier. Lightness and phenolics of the beer would probably help balance the robust spicy nature of the cigar. Mmmmm.

I haven't tried this combo, but I imagine it would be good. Rocky Patel 1961 with a Belgian Witbier. Lightness and phenolics of the beer would probably help balance the robust spicy nature of the cigar. Mmmmm.

Rockey patel 1961 now thats a good cigar and I'm bottling a hefe tonight so maybe by next week I'll let you know how it tastes...

I'm a huge fan of RP cigars, was a pleasure when I got to meet him at the Humidour

I went to this local cigar event that was amazing they gave out like 20 cigars and RP was there and I met his brother and my brother won this big cigar he can hang in his room and his brother actually signed it. It was pretty cool.

Check out cigar asylum, probably one of the best cigar-related message boards out there.

I've got some partagas shorts from 06 that are smoking great right now. They pair well with EVERYTHING!

I like a good cigar with a scotch or a bourbon. I've drank plenty of beers while smoking cheap cigars but I guess I've never really thought about it. I have a Romeo Y Julieta I'm gonna smoke soon. Maybe I'll try to pair it with really good beer, maybe nice amber.

It's my opinion that it's more of a what type of beer goes with cigars type of situation. There are less beers that go with cigars. I think that as mentioned already the bitterness of an IPA and the flavor of a cigar does not match up well. It's almost like both flavors are too sharp on the tongue and I think it makes for an unpleasant pairing. If I'm pairing up a beer and a cigar it tends to be a big beer. Something dark and malty without a ton of bitterness. Last beer I throughly enjoyed with a cigar that was almost a pair made in heaven was a Troegs Javahead stout, and a Tatuaje RC184.

You needs something that stands up to and works with the smoke instead of competing with it.

It's my opinion that it's more of a what type of beer goes with cigars type of situation. There are less beers that go with cigars. I think that as mentioned already the bitterness of an IPA and the flavor of a cigar does not match up well. It's almost like both flavors are too sharp on the tongue and I think it makes for an unpleasant pairing. If I'm pairing up a beer and a cigar it tends to be a big beer. Something dark and malty without a ton of bitterness. Last beer I throughly enjoyed with a cigar that was almost a pair made in heaven was a Troegs Javahead stout, and a Tatuaje RC184.

You needs something that stands up to and works with the smoke instead of competing with it.

I totally agree I wouldnt smoke an IPA with a cigar at all. Like they have those java cofee flavored cigars... If i was gonna be drinking some type of coffee stout I would go with the coffee flavored cigar.

Back