equipment check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walcotteric

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting some small batch brewing soon, doing some 2 gallon batches, as I am in an apartment with an electric stove. I have a Mr. Beer. Should I just use the Mr. Beer fermenter, or should I invest in a 2-3 gallon bucket or carboy? I know that the Mr. Beer fermenter works, but is there a difference in quality between using the mr. beer vs. the bucket or carboy fermenters?

Do you think "almost as an airlock" is good enough? Get a bucket, it's cheap. Plus you can do 5 gallon batches, just brew strong and top off with water.

Do you think "almost as an airlock" is good enough? Get a bucket, it's cheap. Plus you can do 5 gallon batches, just brew strong and top off with water.

I think you missed the part where I said I want to do small batches. I know that I can do 5 gallon batches, but I'd rather do small batch for now.

I think lots of people start off with a Mr beer kit, it's a good jumping off point. When in doubt, brew, ask questions later. Brew man! brew!!!

I've used Mr beer, and made beer.. its just a plastic fermenter with an almost air lock, and a spigot that can leak if not installed properly. Check out the Mr beer thread.. all kinds of interesting DIY style tips and tricks.

You can look at using one gallon glass jugs...they are great fermenters and you can use a #6.5 drilled stopper with an airlock. I use Carlo Rossi wine jugs...others use apple juice jugs. Easy to move around and cheap.

Check out the "one gallon brewers unite" thread. Good read.

Have fun!!!

There is some quality difference, but nothing to prevent you from making a great beer using the Mr. Beer fermenter. Personally, I don't like airlocks and I tend to use them only towards the end of fermentation once things have calmed down. When I'm crash cooling my beer, I cover the carboy opening with paper towels or cotton bandages dampened with StarSan. You might be able to do something similar with the Mr. Beer fermenter for a little extra added protection. If not, I won't worry about it too much, it's simply a small open fermenter.

Back