Confusion over Alaskan Amber clone kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
So I went to the Alaskan Brewing Co. They called Alaskan Amber and Alt style beer. So one brewing supply store had "amber ale clone" and another brew store site (which i like better) had amber ale kit and German alt beer kit. So Is alaskan amber an amber ale or an alt beer...what is the difference? Which kit would be closer to the style?

To oversimplify, an Altbier could be considered a German Amber Ale. My understanding is that the Alaskan Amber is a good representative of a Northern German Altbier style. It is not an American Amber.

Take a look at the BJCP Beer Style Guidelines for more detailed info on the styles - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php (Altbiers can be found under "Amber Hybrid Beer" and American Amber can be found under "American Ale"

(THREADJACK)
Kodiak, AK checking in to say I have no idea.

Good to see you're brewing in Nome! Do you use Arctic to ship out your ingredients?

As for me I get hops through Farmhouse (on here) and have been having my parents back in Illinois sending my fermentables via those flat rate boxes. Might switch the fermentables over to Arctic.. I'm extract btw

As I understand it, an "amber ale" refers mostly to the grain bill, ie the colors/flavors/body characteristics you'll get, and an "alt" refers mostly to the yeast style, namely a German ale yeast, possibly fermented at cooler temps than normal for ales.

As I understand it, an "amber ale" refers mostly to the grain bill, ie the colors/flavors/body characteristics you'll get, and an "alt" refers mostly to the yeast style, namely a German ale yeast, possibly fermented at cooler temps than normal for ales.

Well, yes, in a way, but an altbier is a style in its own right. There is a particular flavor/aroma/visual profile that is associated with altbiers. It is not just any beer brewed with an alt yeast.

Back