Secondary started bubbling like Primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloussant

Reaction score
I'm brewing an extract kit of Hanks Hef from Midwest with White Labs WLP300 Bav hef yeast.

It was sitting in primary for about a week at around 62-64F. I was doing some reading on these boards and thought that would be an ideal ferm temp range. The yeast took off and my airlock was bubbling away like crazy for the first 2 days, slowed on day 3-4, and then completely stopped.

After the 1st week in primary, I just racked it to secondary , put it in my closet (about 68-70F) and almost immediately the airlock started bubbling crazy again!

My question is this:
Will this transition in temperature cause a shock and/or some negative affects to my batch?

As I racked to secondary, I took a grav reading of 1.016. It had a very banana-like sweetness, which I'm guessing is because it wasn't fermented enough.

What was the grav reading 2 days before racking? Never rack until you get a stable gravity 3 days in a row.

All that the airlock not bubbling tells you is: the airlock isn't bubbling. Use the hydrometer to know when things are done fermenting.

That said, moving to a warmer location (your closet) is going to cause some dissolved CO2 to come out of solution in the beer. So there's no guarantee it's fermenting now, either; it could just be off-gassing because of the temp. change

On the webradio broadcast, the head of Wyeast said that secondary transfers can cause the fermentation activity to pick up again because of the oxygen that is introduced by the transfer. It should die down again.

On the webradio broadcast, the head of Wyeast said that secondary transfers can cause the fermentation activity to pick up again because of the oxygen that is introduced by the transfer. It should die down again.

Good to know. I think it is active fermentation rather than dissolved CO2 since there is already a decent amount of krausen on top.

SumnerH, thanks for the tip on grav readings. I'll make sure to take a reading several days in a row before transferring.

Just an update: I transferred to bottles last week and took a sample as I took the grav reading and...bubblegum. Bleh. I've read the article on "Don't Dump your Beer" so I'll be shoving this box of bottles wayyyy back in the closet and let it sit a few months.

On the plus side, my mom tasted the sample too and wanted more. She doesn't even drink beer.

Back