Newest addition - Autoclave!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Yea me!!! I was lucky enough to venture out with our HR director to cut a lock off a storage unit we had apparently been paying for for around 5 years since our group parted ways with the university. Lucky for me in the back corner sat a lonely autoclave. Lonely that is, until I brought it home with me. Fired it up and it works like new. Exciting!! Now to find some autoclavable yeast containers at one of our offices!! :rockin:

Just curious, what are you using for the pressurizing?

an autoclave builds the pressure itself...and the OP needs to find autoclavable containers for storing yeast...

or did I misunderstand your question?

*edit* perhaps you wondered if he's doing a chemical additive or not? I know the autoclave pouches we use at the tattoo shop are both for steam/heat and chemical sterilization (two different color change indicators on the pouch).

should only need steam autoclave for yeast banking.

any pitchers of the 'clave??

yep - got one somewhere. let me get it uploaded. it's just a smaller lab top one with like a 9-10" mouth and approx 18" deep, but perfect for yeast banking materials. let me find a pic and get right back. it does have 4 modes - 2 with 121C and 128 kPa and 2 with 132C and 210kPa.

Yes you're correct - i just needs distilled H2O

an autoclave builds the pressure itself...and the OP needs to find autoclavable containers for storing yeast...

or did I misunderstand your question?

*edit* perhaps you wondered if he's doing a chemical additive or not? I know the autoclave pouches we use at the tattoo shop are both for steam/heat and chemical sterilization (two different color change indicators on the pouch).

should only need steam autoclave for yeast banking.

We have some smaller 100ml vessels for sending out tissue samples at our offices that are autoclavable (and they come sterilized). Just need to get out and get a few. at this time wasn't planning on doing glycol frozen banks. i need to get my condo done and get a clean room built in the basement first - then we'll talk glycol based banks :ban:

Sweet!

But I got to warn you, depending on the kind of lab it was used in, it might smell like broth/agar when it's fired up. I was going to have a friend 'clave all of my stuff until she mentioned EVERYTHING coming out of that 'clave smelled like broth.

B

Sweet!

But I got to warn you, depending on the kind of lab it was used in, it might smell like broth/agar when it's fired up. I was going to have a friend 'clave all of my stuff until she mentioned EVERYTHING coming out of that 'clave smelled like broth.

B

Thanks for the heads up but it was only ever used in an office setting (ENT) to sterilize in office instruments. didn't smell one bit when i fired it up last night - thank goodness!! :mug:

That's weird, I've been working in labs for >20 years and while a lot of the autoclaves smelled like broth, the actual stuff that came out was OK.
On this topic, beesy, be sure to get yourself an autoclavable tray to catch any boil overs you generate (and you will) so yours doesn't end up stinking of boiled-over and scorched malt and agar. A glass or metal baking dish should suffice and be cheaper than the Nalgene trays we use.
In the main, cool score!

That's weird, I've been working in labs for >20 years and while a lot of the autoclaves smelled like broth, the actual stuff that came out was OK.
On this topic, beesy, be sure to get yourself an autoclavable tray to catch any boil overs you generate (and you will) so yours doesn't end up stinking of boiled-over and scorched malt and agar. A glass or metal baking dish should suffice and be cheaper than the Nalgene trays we use.
In the main, cool score!
Thanks for the 411. I picked up a few stainless instrument trays too, so i think one of them will work out nicely!

I picked up a few stainless instrument trays too, so i think one of them will work out nicely!
They'll beat a cheap baking dish any day and won't break or rust. Sweet...:)

IMO, borosilicate media bottles are on of the best autoclavable options for yeast washing and storing. Just make sure you autoclave them with the lid loose and the tighten them when they come out.
31T%2BlTWpvVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just make sure you autoclave them with the lid loose and the tighten them when they come out.
Wait until they're cool to tighten them, unless you have access to a Laminar flow, HEPA filtered hood. Leave the lids mostly screwed on, but not all the way tight.
The reason is they will generate a partial vacuum if they cool with the lid tight and when you open the lid, any near-by crud (like bacteria) will get sucked in.
With a slightly loose lid, the slow seepage of air in as they cool isn't troublesome, as the offending particles are too heavy to get sucked in at that rate, only if there's a rush of air.

How are you planning on using this thing? Is the goal is to just "can" wort. I'm guessing it would kill yeast in the solution.

Wait until they're cool to tighten them, unless you have access to a Laminar flow, HEPA filtered hood. Leave the lids mostly screwed on, but not all the way tight.
The reason is they will generate a partial vacuum if they cool with the lid tight and when you open the lid, any near-by crud (like bacteria) will get sucked in.
With a slightly loose lid, the slow seepage of air in as they cool isn't troublesome, as the offending particles are too heavy to get sucked in at that rate, only if there's a rush of air.

Of course. You can also just leave the lid loose, period. Unless you have issues with fruit flies or something.

Back