das Beir - Dusseldorf AltBeir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
German Ale Wyeast #1007
Yeast Starter
1 Liter (stir plate)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Bottle with 4.5 oz Corn Sugar
Ingredients
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
1.9 oz Debittered Black Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min
German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]

Mash Profile Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Triple
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 9.9 oz
Sparge Water: 2.54 gal
Grain Temperature: 71.6 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Acid Rest Add 22.00 qt of water at 97.1 F Target 95.0 F 45 min
Protein Rest Decoct 5.89 qt of mash and boil Target 122.0 F for 60 min
Saccharification Decoct 7.40 qt of mash and boil Target 148.0 F for 20 min
Saccharification Decoct 3.22 qt of mash and boil Target 156.0 F for 20 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F hold for 10 min

Ferment in primary at 63 F for 17 days
Move fermenter to lagering cooler and lager on the yeast for min of 2 weeks at 32-36 F, but can stay up to 3 months. If lagering for more than 3 weeks, it is recommended to transfer to a secondary after the 3 week mark in the lager cooler.

View attachment dasBier.bsmx

Have you brewed this recipe previously? If so, how'd it turn out?

Yes I have brewed it three times and each time it came out great. I wish that it had more body, but was well with-in style. I am considering adjusting the scarification steps to less time (15 minutes) at 146 and more time 30 minutes at higher temp 158 for the second rest. But it is good enough I have started working it into my regular rotation. I have made additional notes about the conditioning of the beer which helped to improve the second batch over the first. The one thing you do not want to change in this recipe is the yeast. To get the appropriate flavor profile Wyeast 1007 is strongly recommended, but WLP036 could also work. The flavor profile does not seem to be as prevalent with the WLP yeast as it is with the Wyeast 1007.

I'm wondering about WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast,which I have two batches worth of in the fridge. It gave a nice little crispness to my dark hybrid lager I brewed with it. gotta play around with this decotion mashing stuff. I saw a guy do it on youtube that's German. Still don't get all the details,but I'd like to.
Also,since I currently do PB/PM BIAB in my 5G BK/MT,I'd replace 3lbs of the pilsner 2-row with a 3lb bag of plain extra light DME. Worked well in my light hybrid lager recipes for that light color. Darkening is easy with some crystal & chocolate malts I've used so far. Def like to try this,my dad's side being from upper bavaria...

Back