newbie needs help :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RwillieK

Reaction score
Hello all - I've been interested in brewing for several years now, and am finally taking the plunge.

Unfortunatly I haven't got room for 5 gallon batches yet, and want to get some experience before brewing that volume anyway. For christmas I was given two beer kits....Lakeview Family Farms. I've read enough to know the kit isn't very good.

I brewed the first batch according to their directions. I tasted it while bottling, and sure enough it was beer......weak beer, but beer non the less.

Today I tried another batch.....but I purchased a hydrometer, a bag of whole hops, and muslin bags. I changed most of the recipe from the kit, and hopped it with the whole hops........I kind of over did it - I used about 1/4 ounce for flavor, and another 1/4 ounce for aroma.......all in a one gallon batch. I tasted the wort....its pretty bitter. Probably not palatable. My original gravity is 1.046 on my triple scale hydrometer.

Anyone have any kind of one gallon recipes? I actually have 2 1 gallon fermentors, so I could do a 2 gallon batch instead (almost half of most recipes).

In a few months we are buying a new house.....then I'll have the space for 5g batches!!

Thanks in advance!

Robbie

RwillieK said:
Hello all - I've been interested in brewing for several years now, and am finally taking the plunge.

Unfortunatly I haven't got room for 5 gallon batches yet, and want to get some experience before brewing that volume anyway. For christmas I was given two beer kits....Lakeview Family Farms. I've read enough to know the kit isn't very good.

I brewed the first batch according to their directions. I tasted it while bottling, and sure enough it was beer......weak beer, but beer non the less.

Today I tried another batch.....but I purchased a hydrometer, a bag of whole hops, and muslin bags. I changed most of the recipe from the kit, and hopped it with the whole hops........I kind of over did it - I used about 1/4 ounce for flavor, and another 1/4 ounce for aroma.......all in a one gallon batch. I tasted the wort....its pretty bitter. Probably not palatable. My original gravity is 1.046 on my triple scale hydrometer.

Anyone have any kind of one gallon recipes? I actually have 2 1 gallon fermentors, so I could do a 2 gallon batch instead (almost half of most recipes).

In a few months we are buying a new house.....then I'll have the space for 5g batches!!

Thanks in advance!

Robbie

Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep going with it!!!

A small investment would be to buy Promash software, and you can scale down 5 gallon recipes to 1 gallon. You can get a trial version from www.promash.com in the meantime, and then buy the key to unlock it fo r20 bucks. It is an invaluable tool if oyu are serious about brewing.

In the meantime, if you want, post your 5 gallon recipe here and one of us with promash can scale it down for you.

But honestly, as long as you have the promash trial version software and don't save the file, you can convert infinite numbers of recipes. The trial version you can only save 3 times.

And it is NOT possible to overdo the hops!!!! :D :p

Welcome to the forum.

The gravity looks good, and it should be very bitter until it has aged for a few weeks. Unless you were using very high alpha acid hops, your hopping rate looks a little light to me.
Try to hold off drinking it until it has been bottled for 3 - 4 weeks, and the excessive bitterness will disappear.

Good luck,

-a.

That amount of hops is not exorbitant...I use more than that (relative amount) in my 5Gal batches-my last ale had 5 oz in it....Bitterness will mellow with age, so no worries there. That gravity also is right in line, so I would say congrats!!! I thought I overdid my first heavy hopped batch, but after conditioning it was fantastic.....

congrats again and welcome to the addiction.

Wow you guys repsond quickly!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really want to buy my 6.5g buckets!!!

Well the wort is in the fermentor now.....thanks for the good news about what I thought was a screw up!!

I've seen the ProMash software in my searching for 1g recipes....but the page won't load for me!

Robbie

Yeah I found the Beer Recipracator, but couldn't quite figure out how to use it!

I'll see how the Beer Smith program works!

Thanks again for the help!!

Robbie

Robby -

Don't worry to much about it being bitter right out of the pot. It will smooth out and taste great after it conditions. The first mini mash IPA I made was so bitter I thought I would gag but it sure was great after a few weeks in the keg!
:p

RwillieK said:

Thanks in advance!

Robbie

The space investment for five gallon batches is not really all that great. The reward is that you can brew much less frequently - not that brewing is any kind of a nuisance, but SWMBO and others find the boiling leaves what is to them an unpleasant aroma in the house. Ah well, there is none so blind as them that will not see.

Well I moved the batch today into the secondary......I tasted it AFTER I added the sugar to it.....it was very sweet, but the overal taste was pretty decent...not nearly as bitter as I expected it to be.

I know the yeast will take care of a lot of the sugar.....should be interesting to see what the outcome is!

Robbie

Back