Not finding a control panel to my liking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberg33k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm slowly stocking up the parts for my e-BIAB setup, but one part seems to be evading me; the control panel enclosure. It seems most out there run with giant NEMA panels that are more suited to multi-PID setups. That's a bit of overkill for me. Some people use tool boxes, but I'd like something a bit more polished looking. I'm only going to have 1 PID, 1 timer, 1 pump switch, a master on/off, and maybe a few LEDs. What I need is :

• A durable case that can take some bumps and scrapes. I don't always brew in the same place (sometimes at home, sometimes at the LHBS, sometimes at friends), so I need to be built to last.
  • I'd like to be able to mount the components into a subpanel and have a door cover the switches/PID for travel.
  • Enough room on some face for flanged socket outlets/inlet.
  • I can't decide if I'm going to build a small cart, buy one, or just brew on countertops, so I need a box I can either mount to the side of a cart or set on a countertop and not have using it be awkward.
  • Less than $100. Preferably, less than $50, but I know that's pushing it.
  • Bonus : it has room to house a GFCI. I'd love to build one into the panel in case where ever I go isn't protected.

Any ideas on what I could use?

Thanks!

Have you looked at any Pelican cases? They're plastic but durable and super easy to modify as needed. You could nest them or build a sub-panel for number 2 from above.

Have you looked at any Pelican cases? They're plastic but durable and super easy to modify as needed. You could nest them or build a sub-panel for number 2 from above.

That was actually my first thought, but I can only seem to find panel frames. I can't find any blank panels. I guess that's because they want you to use their OEM service, but that's $$$. Maybe they're out there and I'm just missing it?

Here's my latest mock-up of an e-BIAB panel in a Carlon 12x12 PVC box.

control-panel-12x12-60231.jpg

1) Illuminated (all switches are illuminated) e-stop that opens and closes a NO 2-pole contactor that feeds everything else in the box (Main power on/off)
2) Pump on/off switch
3) Element on/off switch that controls another NO, 2-pole contactor between SSR and element
4) Timer
5) PID
6) Switch to silence the alarm from the timer
7) Illuminated alarm
8) 240v LED indicating when element is on
9) Switch to silence the alarm from the PID

Put some of these handles http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FMTUW2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 on the face and wrap a towel or something around it and it will be pretty durable for travel.

You might be able to fit a GFCI breaker, but it's easy enough to have a spa panel that can travel as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my latest mock-up of an e-BIAB panel in a Carlon 12x12 PVC box.

control-panel-12x12-60231.jpg

1) Illuminated (all switches are illuminated) e-stop that opens and closes a NO 2-pole contactor that feeds everything else in the box (Main power on/off)
2) Pump on/off switch
3) Element on/off switch that controls another NO, 2-pole contactor between SSR and element
4) Timer
5) PID
6) Switch to silence the alarm from the timer
7) Illuminated alarm
8) 240v LED indicating when element is on
9) Switch to silence the alarm from the PID

Put some of these handles http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FMTUW2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 on the face and wrap a towel or something around it and it will be pretty durable for travel.

You might be able to fit a GFCI breaker, but it's easy enough to have a spa panel that can travel as well.

What did you use to layout the panel?

Also, are the Carlon boxes you and Bobby_M mentioned not online? I've searched all over the Lowes site, but can't seem to find anything bigger than a 4" box. I was going to poke around a b&m store this weekend, but it struck me as odd I couldn't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit your local Home Depot, they have a nice variety of tool boxes, both plastic and metal that will do the job just fine.

+1. I used a plastic tool box for mine, modded with an aluminum plate on the side (for the SSR/heatsink) and a piece of 3/4" wood inside the bottom on which to mount terminal strips. I like the way it turned out and it's easily stored away.

I used the carlon 12x12 box. It fits everything but space is tight. I also went with the 1/32 DIN PID's to save a little space, that helps because those things are small. Once you get the wiring, relays, SSRs, outlets, etc in there, there's not much room left. Also, the plastic is easy to modify with simple tools compared to metal. The carlon boxes are thick durable plastic as well. I'd recommend them.

What he said. I used a Carlon box for my smoker controller build. They are good thick plastic, very sturdy.

Back