sanitizing fresh fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
I wanted to brew a strawberry blonde wheat beer this weekend and I know alot of people rock out the frozen or canned stuff from the local brew shop. But I wanted fresh fruit seeing as Ill probably be adding some honey from the bee garden as well. Trying to keep it somewhat organic minus the the extract since I'm not on that all grain boat yet! So the question was how the heck do I sanitize the fruit ie maybe rinse with cleanser and drinking water?? All input welcomed CHEERs. XsjdpX

Some folks will just wash with clean water and add straight to the fermented beer. The alcohol will protect the beer from any spoiling organisms. However, fruit may have some wild yeast and if not pasteurized may start a secondary fermentation which could last months, and leave some different flavors.

I like to pasteurize fruit. Place in some water and heat to 160 F and maintain temperature until heated thru (5 seconds at 160 F will pasteurize, but solids (fruit) will take longer to fully get to temperature). Don't heat too high or you will set pectins (haze in the beer).

I've never done this before (but I may on my next recipe), but I know some people soak their fruit in vodka over a certain amount of time.

Back