rating numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemilburn

Reaction score
Just started into making beer after being out of it for a few years. I'm not into it as much as some of you are, maybe in time it'll come.
I just made a batch of Blonde Lager http://www.magnotta.com/FestaBrew/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=213 and like the taste but the next batch I was going to try something a bit different although I don't know what. I like the taste slightly bitter and sharp but not overpowering and no aftertaste or at least not a bad one.
This leads to my question, what do the numbers correspond to at the bottom of the description:
OG: 1.0476 – 1.0484, FG: 1.0080 – 1.0088, Yeast: Saflager S-23, IBUs: 11 and is there any way to compare them to aromas or tastes that I might recognise?.....Mike

OG = Original Gravity
FG = Final Gravity
IBU's = International Bittering Units

This is a lightly hopped lager so the emphasis would be on the malt with a clean taste from the lager yeast.

My advice to you would be to try some commercial beers and find something you like then look for a clone recipe for that particular beer or something in the same style.

Latest posts

Back