triple threat mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncommonsense

Reaction score
I have some grapes that i need to use and some grain to. And im ganna go to my bee keeper tomorrow for honey. Does anyone forsee a problem with combining all three for a mead. Any advice would be helpfull.

Yes I see a problem. I started a mead a week a go, and I didn't think of making it a bragging pymnt first ! ... or maybe a Wining Braggot... can't decide what to call that one.

This could be BRILLIANT, or crappy, but I'm banking on brilliant. What is your reciepe?

ACbrewer said:
Yes I see a problem. I started a mead a week a go, and I didn't think of making it a bragging pymnt first ! ... or maybe a Wining Braggot... can't decide what to call that one.

This could be BRILLIANT, or crappy, but I'm banking on brilliant. What is your reciepe?

Well i have 2 ice cream buckets of grapes and some honey malt and some vienna malt. I have to get some honey and yeast tomorrow. I may gets some more grain while im at it. Im kinda just winging it. Ive made straight up mead before but ive got all this stuff i need to use. And its honey season for my bee keeper so it kinda clicked. Ill post as the day goes on tomorrow.

Ok i just pitch the yeast and added vodka to the airlock. Heres the recipe
5 gal.
12# honey
.5 gal of grape juice i squeezed.
2# pale ale malt
1# munich malt
.75# honey malt
.5# vienna malt

And i mash hoped it with 1 oz of willamette.
Then i pitched 2 packets of champagne yeast.

This was kindof half fridge clearer and half mad experiment.

MeadHorn said:
Did you take a sip of the must/wort (heh what would it be in this case!) before you pitched the yeast? I'm just trying to imagine what flavors popped out.

Yes i did, the honey mostly came out on top but the honey malt and the grapes were in the background. And after fermentation started there was a great big fruit aroma coming out of the air lock. I would call it must its still mead as it is mostly honey. I would call it more of a fruit braggot.

If this is good im ganna do it with alittle more thought then just throw **** together. I will problem get some grapes from a wine kit. I trust them better. I did you a campdens tab in the grape juice, i add the honey at 5 minutes of the boil.

I tasted it last night. It was very good, I was pleasantly surprised. The fruit comes through nice in the nose and the grain adds a nice smoothness to the body. Mostly a meady flavor with hints of grape and grain. There is a very pleasnt warming on the way down to. The only problem right now is there is a alcoholic smell to it in the nose only, I can't realy taste it. But with some age on it im sure that will come out.

Back