Sweetening cider after secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlillington

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im new to home brewing and just finished my first ever batch of cider and having had a taste I think it needs sweetening still so I'm just looking for some advice from the gurus!

I used the Black Rock cider kit and I did a secondary fermentation in a 5gal barrel using roughly 90g cane sugar to give a light carb. Is there now a way to get the cider sweeter without losing the carb?

Thanks

you need to backsweeten it, using either juice or concentrate. However, once the extra sugars are added, the yeast will consume them, and dry the beer out. So you need to add more sugars, but stop fermentation.

there are a couple of options for a carbed, sweet cider:

1) the easiest, is to keg it

2) pasteurize it

there is also some great info on this site from people WAY more experienced than me. Try searching for "sweet cider" or 'Carbed Sweet cider" in the search tab on top, it will probably help you more than my crappy post!

Mewithstewpid is right. Keg or Pasteurize it are your two options. Read the sticky on pasteurizing if you don't have a keg set up.

Or cold crash it. I have two Tap A Draft bottles I carbonate the cider in, and then pop in the fridge when they are done. This does require mini-CO2's though.

Back