Munich Helles Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haynie91

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis Saflager W-34/70
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 (Yellow to Gold)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 days, 50 degrees avg.
Tasting Notes
Wonderfully crisp and light with nice malty flavor and touch of hops
Date Brewed: 01/29/2011

Munich Helles

Malt:

Amount Lbs. Percentage of Total
Pilsner 10 90.9%
Munich .75 6.8%

Melanoidin .25 2.3%

Total 11

Hops:

1 oz Hallertau NZ (9.06%AA) Added for 60 minutes

Water Treatment:

1 tbsp pH stabilizer Added to mash water
1 tbsp Irish Moss Added for last 15 min

Notes:

Starting Mash temp: 150 F

Water:

Gallons in boil: Full Boil

Gallons in fermenter: ~5

Gravity OG: 1.047 FG: 1.012 ABV: 4.6%

Only a 60 min boil using Pilsner malt ??

Hope you like the taste of corn .. :/

Hmmmm im not really sure where a corn taste would come from, unless you think dms tastes like corn. Which it doesnt. If youre going to be critical at least be give positive criticism and know what you're talking about. Cheers!

Eh, from the Homebrewing Wiki:

"Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) is an organic sulfur compound present above its flavor threshold in most beers. Because of its low flavor threshold, 10 - 150 ppb, it is a primary flavor and aroma compound that makes a significant contribution to beer character, especially in lager beers. It has a characteristic taste and aroma of cooked corn or creamed corn. "

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Corn is exactly what it tastes like.

Eh, from the Homebrewing Wiki:

"Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) is an organic sulfur compound present above its flavor threshold in most beers. Because of its low flavor threshold, 10 - 150 ppb, it is a primary flavor and aroma compound that makes a significant contribution to beer character, especially in lager beers. It has a characteristic taste and aroma of cooked corn or creamed corn. "

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Corn is exactly what it tastes like.

I stand corrected although i think it tastes much more like cabbage than corn.

Ive used pilsner extract and mashed with it a few times all i kept thinking was potatoes with the aroma in the boil and even a hint of it in the final taste.
How long did you mash?

I stand corrected although i think it tastes much more like cabbage than corn.

Just because I don't post to this forum often doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

DMS is known for its corn like flavor.

Nice to see you backtrack ..

Just because I don't post to this forum often doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

DMS is known for its corn like flavor.

Nice to see you backtrack ..

Why would you get offended by that. I think its potatoes,so are you mad at my opinion? Yes dms is known as corn like but its also been described differently,my opinon is potatoes ,alot of people think cabbage also. Or "vegetable" Guess homebrewers are *****bags because they have their own opinions? Its just funny how people start misinterpereting and calling people jerks or *****bags. I guess I failed to see anything wrong with some of the others opinionated replies. Care to explain?
Ok wait. I see how someone edited what they said -about knowing you should know what your talking about. So that didnt work over to well, with saying you should post something you know about or something of that nature. Not cool.

When I said that homebrewers are *****ebags what I really meant was that homebrewers that I have encountered on homebrew talk have been sarcastic know-it-alls. Now that doesn't pertain to everyone. I think that by and large the home brewing community is very welcoming to newcomers and quick to help or explain. But there is this prevailing condescending attitude. The other thing is, everyone thinks that they are going to turn pro tomorrow. My aspirations of being a pro brewer ended about a half hour into reading about all of the exhaustive resources that it takes to get brew pub or microbrewery off the ground. Maybe DMS tastes like corn. Maybe it tastes like potatoes. Maybe he's the only person who has to drink it and I've just wasted twenty minutes of my life aimlessly venting about some post on an online forum on Thanksgiving day. Have a nice one! Cheers!

thanks for the recipe haynie91. i think that got lost in the process. also, thanks to those who care enough to post their opinion so we can all learn something. if it were not for the input of others and the subsequent discussions, we would all still be making mead, bad mead.

It looks like mostly Pilsner malt, boiled for 60 or more minutes, is how this beer is brewed. I don't see why the presense of dms should seem so shocking.

And thanks for the recipe. I like a nice beer-hall brew.

[edit] Oh, I get it, ONLY 60 mins it's what's less than usual.

Listening to Jamal talk about Helles lagers he said he never does 90 minute boils any more, there simply not needed with today's modern malting processes. Personaly Ive done a half dozen or so lagers using pilsen malt and only 60 minute boils and have not yet encountered anything close to DMS corn or cabbage taste.

Date Brewed: 01/29/2011

Munich Helles

Malt:

Amount Lbs. Percentage of Total
Pilsner 10 90.9%
Munich .75 6.8%

Melanoidin .25 2.3%

Total 11

Hops:

1 oz Hallertau NZ (9.06%AA) Added for 60 minutes

Water Treatment:

1 tbsp pH stabilizer Added to mash water
1 tbsp Irish Moss Added for last 15 min

Notes:

Starting Mash temp: 150 F

Water:

Gallons in boil: Full Boil

Gallons in fermenter: ~5

Gravity OG: 1.047 FG: 1.012 ABV: 4.6%

How did this turn out?
You didn't mention your fermentation notes.
Also, with your grain bill your efficiency must be poor. I do 6 Pilsner and 2 Munish, no Melanoidin and get the same OG. My recipe also split the hop additions of Hallertau (.5 @ 60, .5 @ 30)

Latest posts

Back