calculus said 1.067

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
I got 1.063OG

biab squeeze no lauter

when i use the beer calc im only entering the grains and hops and making no adjustments anywhere else on the program

is 1.063 decent or to be expected given all that?

Well first of all we can't say whether a 1.067 estimated OG is correct without having the grains you used.

If your program said 1.067 and you got 1.063 you are fine. 4 points off is nothing.

11lb Marris Otter
.5 lb Caramel 80
.5 lb flaked corn
.5 lb vienna
.5 lb biscuit

7.65'ish pre-boil volume (+/- .08)

.3 oz centennial 9.7%aa (60 min)
.2 oz zythos 10.9%aa (60 min)
.5 oz centennial (15 min)
.8 oz zythos (15 min)
1 tsp'ish Irish moss (10 min)
.7 oz centennial (1min)
.5 oz zythos (1 min)

as per beer calculus: 42.5 ibu, 1.067 og 6.7 abv

164F strike
158F after 5 min of stirring
152F after 15min (strapped a wool blanket around it at this point)
149F after 45 min
148F out

1.063 OG
s-04 x 1 package

I'll be doing the exact same brew again tomorrow, so it will be interesting to compare results

Yeah, you got to within about 2-3% of the correct efficiency. Most recipes assume a 72-75% efficiency, so you have to hit that exact assumed efficiency to get the recipe's exact OG.

So, in this case, the recipe assumed a 72-75% efficiency, and you actually achived somewhere around a 69-73% efficiency.

If you want to bump up your efficiency in the future, either crush your grain a little finer (or run it through the mill twice), use a little bit more grain, or add a mash out step after your BIAB mash.

Good luck!

Wicked. Thank you!

Holding that bag, waiting, squeezing etc etc, nearly killed me

I hear that, it's what got me out of BIAB and into a igloo 10 gallon. I was burning my muscles and my skin at the same time holding my grain bag. If I didn't live in a rented apt I would have put a pulley on the ceiling to help lift the bag.

I hear that, it's what got me out of BIAB and into a igloo 10 gallon. I was burning my muscles and my skin at the same time holding my grain bag. If I didn't live in a rented apt I would have put a pulley on the ceiling to help lift the bag.

Are you doing a 2 vessel system then? How does that work?

Just finished another of the exact same and got 1.063 again

diff mash tho, unintended

164f strike
159 after 5 min stir and cover
154 after 15 min
152-145 after 30 min (dunno what happened here)
142 out

so im guessing holding mash temps in a kettle can be a challenge? I'm making a custom jacket for my kettle

Is there a good alternative to the brewometer that comes with the boilermaker? something I can fit flawlessly in the existing thermostat hole? preferably digital?

1.012 after one week on the s-04 at 64F ambient.... damn does it taste interesting. a little heat, a little sweet, going to be pretty clear, warm and fuzzy on the palate

s-05 to measure in a couple of days

What,you couldn't set a collander on top of the BK for the grain bag to drain in? That's what I did...

1.012 after one week on the s-04 at 64F ambient.... damn does it taste interesting. a little heat, a little sweet, going to be pretty clear, warm and fuzzy on the palate

s-05 to measure in a couple of days

1.0105 after 1wk on the s-05. Noticeable difference

Trick to holding / draining the bag.

1. Dont pull the bag entirely out at first. Let it "float" as the wort above the water line will drain out, greatly reducing the weight of the bag. Lift it out a bit more, etc. Then its not nearly as heavy.

2. It actually drains slower if you hold it. Instead place it on an oven rack over your pot, or inside a giant collander. You can press down on it with a plastic pitcher (stick your hand inside for leverage). You can drain a fair amount this way. Also - if you dont squeeze/force out the wort this way, you will lose some to the grain, and this wort is higher in sugar, since its trapped in the grain bag.

Lifting the grain bag to drain is not that hard if you do this. I did a 15 pound grain bag yesterday, and it was not that bad at all.

1. I use a big strainer, my LHBS has them. Works great.

strainer-e1268888103395.jpg

2. I thought squeezing was a terrible thing to do due to high tannin extraction?

I use a polished SS collander I bought at bed,bath,& way beyond to drain/sparge my biab in. Takes a while to drain though. As I was bringing it to a boil,more than a cup drained out into the ss bowl I sat the collander in. Just dumped it into the bk.

Back