Temp control in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
Is it necessary to control the temp in a secondary? I brewed a honey weizen from extract and kept it about 65F throughout primary fermentation for two weeks. Just wondering if I could let it be in the secondary at 70F-75F for two weeks?

No, it's not important. But.... you don't need to secondary a beer like that anyway. I'm guessing that's the Midwest kit? I just brewed that one myself, ~11 days in primary and then into bottles. Very nice little hefe for the hot weather.

I was actually thinking of racking to a secondary and put some more honey into the secondary, just to see how it turns out.

Plenty of people secondary so I don't see anything wrong with it.
The warmer temps should actually help the yeast consume any undesirable biproducts from the primary fermentation.
I would probably not secondary it for more than a week though.

Edit; adding honey will only kick start new fermentation. I would not recommend it, though I have done it in the past.
It will only increase the time you have to wait to drink your new product.

Thanks for the info. I do not want to wait longer than I have to, I'm all out of homebrew! Need to get a pipeline going.

Back