Advice on Hefe Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
How does the following look for a simple Extract w/ specialty grains hefe? If I were to add the extract late in the boil to maintain a light color would I have to adjust the hops? Does this effect hop utilization?

Boil Volume 6.5 gals
Final Volume 5.5 gals
6.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.7 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 22.4 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs WLP300

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Bitterness: 18 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.0 %

Edited Extract to 100% Wheat DME based on advice from seefresh and Pol's advice.

Looks good to me, you could up the wheat DME and down the extra light if you wanted, not a big deal though. You can add the extract in the last 10 minutes of the boil and do your hops schedule as usual, won't effect utilization.

Yah, Id up the wheat. Never used extract before, but for those who have, I thought that the WHEAT DME was actually like 60% wheat and 40% other... if so, then you REALLY need to up the wheat. I used 60% wheat in my AG this weekend... it is really up to you, but I think wheat DME is only PARTIALLY wheat.

Pol

The Pol said:
Yah, Id up the wheat. Never used extract before, but for those who have, I thought that the WHEAT DME was actually like 60% wheat and 40% other... if so, then you REALLY need to up the wheat. I used 60% wheat in my AG this weekend... it is really up to you, but I think wheat DME is only PARTIALLY wheat.

Pol

Looks like you are right. My LHBS's website shows their Wheat DME to be 55% Wheat and 45% Barley. I guess I'll go 100% Wheat DME then.

Thanks for the advice.

That should be a good recipe. I think the style calls for lower bitterness but if it fits your tastes then keep it as is.

paranode said:
That should be a good recipe. I think the style calls for lower bitterness but if it fits your tastes then keep it as is.

Beersmith calls for an IBU value in the range of 10 - 30; so this is in the upper end of the range. I've not had a lot of hefe's so maybe I'll bring it more to the middle of the range.

My first heffe was 14 IBU... have not tasted it yet...

So I brewed this and I think I have an off flavor I can't seem to identify. I dropped the boil hops to 1.0 oz, but the rest of the recipe was pretty much the same as above. I pitched a little hot (71F) and the ferment was a little warm (between 68 - 73). The fermentation went well and after 11 days I kegged and force carbed. Its been in the keggerator for 10 days or so at this point.

I just can't put my finger on the taste. It has a really strong heffe aroma and flavor (too much). The finish might have an alcohol taste, but I am just not sure. Anyone else have heffe's with off flavors like these?

My best guess is that the fermentation was too hot. Anyone have any ideas?

I really don't think you fermented too hot, I ferment my hefes at around 72 and they come out great every time. I even pitch my yeast at around 75 and I havn't had any problems with that either.

Heffe yeasts are supposed to be in the low 70s for fermentation temps. Youd have to get it HOT to have off flavors due to that. Is it perhaps just the qualities that the yeast imparted that you do not like? Sanitation? Hot side aeration?... who knows, but it doesnt look like your temps. NOW, was the ROOM 73 degrees, or was the beer 73 degrees, I assure you, in a heffe ferment, if the room ws 73, the beer was 78 or higher....

Pol

The ferm was at times 73....according to the thermometer sticker on the bucket anyway.

The best I can describe the issue is that the taste is harsh. I have enjoy the commercial heffes that I have had. They seem much smoother than what I produced. The flavors and aroma also seem more muted in the commercial brews I have had. I have also noticed that the flavor gets slightly better as the beer warms in the glass.

I don't see any signs of infection and I would be very surprised if there was HSA.

Back