Brewing Trivia... GO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in the answer. I only know what Airag is and I have no clue how it played any part in language. I'm going to google now. :)

HAHAHAHAHA, my Googling led me to this: The Most Disgusting Drinks

I'm not gonna lie, I'm going to err on the side of caution and never, ever drink this disgusting looking beverage.

I disagree on Brenavinn, am doubtful about their description of kvass (which I have heard is rather tasty), but I am totally on board with the others... although, morbid curiosity makes me want to taste airag

The mongols were extremely close to their horses. In fact, they were the first to domesticate the horse, and once they did that they ruled the land. They were an extremely violent and capable warring nation.

The Mongolian war parties were very mobile. They did not have a supply train; in fact, they didn't carry much in the way of supplies. When they were hungry, they would sack the nearest town, take what they needed, and move on. If they were caught on the steppe without food, they would milk the mares. They were fond of cutting a slight gash into the horses neck and adding blood to the milk. They could travel long distances on nothing but this mixture.

1200's.

Genghis Kahn conquered the middle of Eurasia, from China to Hungary. It was total domination. Total. The mongols were completely unstoppable.

His youngest son, Obadiah, blasted through the west, and was on the edge of the europe that would, eventually, discover North America. These mongols were completely dominant. They would soon take over all of China. They razed Turkey, Hungary, and nearly everywhere else their horses could take them.

Obadiah died abruptly of alcoholism at the age of 40. Airag is their traditional fermented drink, but he was probably drinking more traditional wine and mead drinks too. If he hadn't died just then, it's likely that the Mongols would have continued on to the North Sea, and dominated the entire region.

If not for Airag, Obidiah would likely have conquered Europe and (given lots of assumptions) we'd be speaking his language, which would be either Chinese or Turkish.

Back