Keg lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
So, I killed my first keg last night. On that last pour, some sludge filled the lines, so I rinsed out my keg with some warm water and put some starsan in it. Hooked the keg up to preasure and then used the starsan to get that gunk out of the line. My question is, how long should that starsan be allowed to stay in the line? How do you all keep your lines while you are waiting for your next batch to carb up?

I leave my sanitizing solution in the lines until the next keg gets hooked up.

If you're worried about long term effects of starzan, Open the tap, lift the ball lock up higher than the tap and use a blunt object to open the ball lock valve and allow the liquid to drain.

I figured it would be ok, but I wanted to be sure. I have seen what starsan can do to a blowoff tube. I dont anticipate it being in there for more then a week, I plan on kegging my first apfelwein batch and having it under pressure tomorrow :tank:

Anyone have any tips on getting the liquid out tube clean? I soaked it overnight in oxyclean and the gunk in there wont come out. Any ideas on common household stuff i might be able to use to get to it?

EDIT: So I got fed up with soaking and trying to run water through it. Ended up cutting an old phone cord and running that through the tube. It worked surprisingly well, and the tube seems to be clean now.

mrkeeg said:
enlighten me...what does starsan do to a blowoff tube?

I am not sure exactly what its doing to the tube, but there is a thick white film covering the tube where it is sitting in starsan. Has been there for about a month.

The detergent in starsan is attracted to plastic. As it sits the detergent will start to be wicked into the plastic and turn it cloudy. It is also why plastic soaked in starsan will feel a bit slimey. The detergent is harmless and will not do any real damage, but some people swear that it makes the plastic more brittle.

Latest posts

Back