Only 5 lbs of 2 row - need recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
I won't have time to get any more ingredients by this Saturday so what's a good quaffable recipe I can make with 5 pounds of Canadian 2 row? I don't have anything else except lots of corn sugar and a pound of flaked barley and honey. Tons of hops various kinds and S05, S04, Coopers yeast.

Cheers

How is your efficiency? With 5 lbs of 2-row and 1.5/2 lbs of honey you could probably do a pale... Assuming you have high efficiency and can extract enough sugar to make it about 4%.

make a 3 gallon batch? 5# of 2 row and 1/2# of flaked. hops as you desire. should be done fast and make a decent 5% session beer.

With what you've got, I don't know if there is anything to do but put all of the grain in a mash, put the honey and some sugar in the end of the boil and hops to taste.
Any additions like spice would probably overpower the flavor with your grain bill. Honey should be fine and the sugar should help bring up the alcohol level.
Any reason why Saturday is a critical date?
Can you wait till you can go shopping and make something that interests you?

You could always go crazy a little and see if there are any fermentable looking grain type things at the grocery store. What have you got to loose?

I would mash your 5 lbs of 2 row around 151 with a handful off barley, add two pounds of corn sugar to the boil. This will give you a beer that is light with a bit of body. Don't overdo the flaked barley though, less than 1/2 pound I owuld think.

make a nice little pale ale, get your ibus in the 30 range.

so, an ounce of cascade at 60 and one at 10

chill and ferment at 65 with a clean yeast - I like uso5 for almost all my ales. It's clean and fast.

should be ready to drink in about 1.5 weeks, that is if you keg after 5 or six days. bottle carbing will take weeks longer.

download beersmith trial version and play with what you have, it will give you a decent idea of your results at different temps and such.

No I don't have to brew Saturday, but if I wait it will be another week at least. Yes I get quite high efficiency normally. I do a pretty fine crush and have never had a problem with stuck mashes.

I would toast a half pound of the 2 row for some color and look around the house for a pound of oatmeal for some mouthfeel.... And possibly a pound of whole grain rice to boost the abv a little

braggot? guess it depends on how much honey you have though.
I agree with captncullys suggestion to toast 1/2lb of 2row
4.5lbs canadian 2row
0.5lbs toasted canadian 2row
0.5lbs flaked barley
5.0lbs of Honey added at flame out
2.0lbs of table sugar/corn sugar (mainly to bump gravity) at flame out

hops of your choosing, but
1.0oz 10AA for 60mins
1.0oz 5AA for 15mins

S04 or S05 at 65deg

should yield a 7.5%-8.0% Braggot, assuming 75% eff

good luck

Toasting works well wet or dry. Palmer has a great description of the process in his online book (or print). Just don't shoot for the heavy toasts, as these need time in a paper bag to improve the flavor.

I did a quasi SMaSH with 2-row, toasted 2-row, and centennial hops. Came out okay. Nothing real interesting, but it was drinkable nonetheless. I was hoping to make a lighter version of Deadringer (Two Hearted clone). It fell short in that area.

I neglected to mention I have a pound of roasted barley as well..not that it will contribute anything sugar-wise.

In that case a dry Irish stout might be the way to go. Never made one, but I would guess the 1 lb of RB, 1 lb of flaked barley, and 2 row malt would work well together.

And you have now prompted me to add this to my "to brew" beers :)

Yes I thought about a stout, but gravity will be a little low. I could bump it up with the corn sugar I guess!?

Guinness is only about 4.2% anyway. The classic guidelines for dry stout is 70% pale ale malt, 20% flaked barley and 10% roasted. You could do something similar with what you have on hand, throwing in some of the corn sugar or honey would add some alcohol, but don't expect to get any honey flavor if you use it in conjunction with all that roasted malt.

Yea, I think dry irish stout is the way to go now that you mention the roasted barley. Anything else laying around (specialty grains etc?)

Nope, that's all. I forgot about the roasted barley. I actually already have a stout in the keg but I guess you can never have too much!

I would toast a half pound of the 2 row for some color and look around the house for a pound of oatmeal for some mouthfeel.... And possibly a pound of whole grain rice to boost the abv a little

Hell, look around the house for some popcorn and some captain crunch too. Make something cool.

If you wanted to be adventurous you could use your oven and water and create other specialty grains. Take basic two row, produce all the other specialty malts you need and make whatever you want.

Back