Pump inlet orientation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my inlet pointed down...so all air bubbles can rise up and out of the outlet. I also found that installing a dump valve just down stream from the outlet is very handy to burp the pump. I start the pump, let the liquid flow in the pump and out the dump/burp valve then close the dump/burp valve....and it's usually rockin. I had problems getting good flow until I installed the burp valve.

or just put an autovent on the output of your pump

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/priming-march-autovent-200246/#post2541846

IMG_20110110_193531.jpg

-=Jason=-

I just got my pump mounted and its in the North-South position (South being the inlet) and I heard all these horror stories about priming these things so I installed a burp valve like the poster above mentioned and had it primed within 5 seconds of my first time using it. Easy peazy!

As long as you can purge the air on the outlet side (meaning you have a purge valve or the outlet is not pumping to submerged liquid, you should be fine.

I've never had all these priming issues people talk about, so I don't know what the autovents and such circumvent specifically.

IMO, it doesn't matter how you position the inlet/outlet if you have a bleeder valve installed. I have zero problems priming my pump and the bleeder does double duty on my RIMS when I want to grab a wort sample or dump excess volume for any reason. I have no use for an autovent thingy, but that's just me. YMMV blah, blah, blah.

I have my inlet pointed down...so all air bubbles can rise up and out of the outlet. I also found that installing a dump valve just down stream from the outlet is very handy to burp the pump. I start the pump, let the liquid flow in the pump and out the dump/burp valve then close the dump/burp valve....and it's usually rockin. I had problems getting good flow until I installed the burp valve.

Will a 90 degree elbow on the bottom (inlet) cause issues with the air rising through the pump?

Will a 90 degree elbow on the bottom (inlet) cause issues with the air rising through the pump?

No, or probably not anyway. It is generally recommended to not have elbows positioned within 5 pipe diamters of the pump inlet for optimum performance. It's a minor thing and that distance would only be a couple of inches or so for a 1/2" inlet. The elbow should not affect priming the pump.

IMO, the inlet/outlet positions don't much matter if you use a bleeder valve and have a reasonable amount of positive suction head.

Back