Earl Grey Tea wine not clearing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Hi
Hope someone can help with this.
I've made an earl grey wine, its getting on for 3 months old now and it just doesnt seem to be clearing. I've had it outside in the garage where its quite cold for about 5 days and its just staying cloudy.
What would cause this and what could i do?

Thanks.

My banana wine cleared after a long time, then there was yeast at the bottom of the bottles. keep racking it. :)

You haven't posted the recipe (to tell if pectin/starch could be a problem) but i'd say that degassing and then adding bentonite (under an airlock) would show improvement.

Was one of my first wine attempts so kept recipe simple.

8 Early Grey teabags
1 tsp Nutrient
1.5 kg of sugar (added in two stages)
1 tsp Young’s Super Wine Yeast Compound (contains bentonite which makes me even more confused as to why its not clearing)
I'm sure I put 1tsp citric acid in as well but don’t have my notes to hand.

Boiled a gallon of water. Poured it onto the tea bags and 1kg sugar, left it to cool then added yeast and nutrient. Filled demijohn to neck topped up after a few days. First racking was done after 6 weeks.

The samples i've had taste great i just need it to clear so i can bottle it up and get ready for a proper tasting session.

GeeBee - Just continue to cold store it and be patient. The English weather won't be this mild for long and a few colder nights will help to drop some of that sediment. You never mentioned if you did 'de-gas' it - it really helps in the first racking if you do.

yeah, that's an interesting recipe, i'd like to know the process you used to make it.
and let us know how it turns out!

The tasters I’ve had are very nice. If it improves with age it’s going to be very good stuff.

Caplan you mentioned de-gassing, I’ve not intentionally tried to de-gas it, how would you go about doing it? I gave it a bit of a shake after fermentation had finished and I’d have thought racking it would have removed some. Maybe gas is the problem.

De-gassing is as you describe really - rack it off and then shake the hell out of it for thirty seconds and put it back under airlock. You can combine this with addition of any finings. Don't be tempted though to try de-gassing wines that have stood aging for a while (say over 3 months), you may risk oxidising it.

Back