Chip Chip Cheerio, Here we Go!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsethall

Reaction score
Okee doke, I will be brewing this on monday 5/2/11. I ended up liking the number 110 for some dumb reason. 110 minute mash, 110 Ibu's 110 minute boil and 11.0 SRM. Any yeasts with a 110 in the name?

BigAss IIPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain Date: 5/2/2011
Batch Size: 10.00 gal Boil Size: 12.70
Brewer: Justin Daniels Asst Brewer: Luke Geddes
Boil Time: 110 min Equipment: RIMS Single Keg
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.50

Ingredients

Grain
2.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.13 %
25.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.38 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.41 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.56 %

Hops
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.90 %] (110min)
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (90 min)
1.50 oz Millenium [16.60 %] (60 min)
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min)
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (10 min)
2.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Est Original Gravity: 1.100 Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.80

Bitterness: 110.0 IBU Calories: 468 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.0 SRM
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 39.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.33 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body
Steps
110 min Mash In Add 8.75 gal of water at 177.1 F 156.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 3.30 gal of water at 207.8 F 168.0 F

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 7.6 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0F
Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

I think you would be fine with 1 lb of rice hulls, which I assume are for the oats. 1 lb of oats is a small amount in such a large grain bill and I doubt they'll give you much trouble. Rice hulls tend to soak up a bunch of wort, so I hate to use more than I need.

Yep recipe looks like an imperial IPA.

Don't know of any 110 yeasts.

I think you should also use 110lbs of grain...in a 5 gallon batch. You might have to boil it for a while, but it'll be all worth it. Surely some yeast has to be able to ferment syrup.:drunk:

you could do wyeast 1099 + white labs 001, or white labs 011 (110 backwards).

I'd ditch the carapils, especially if you're mashing that high (why btw?). I dont see it adding anything to this considering the rest of the ingredients either way.

I'd simplify the hop adds too. theres really no need for 3 different bittering adds. you definitely need to add more late and certainly a dry hop to consider this a IIPA

The carapils is for head retention and lacing. Thats the most important part of a beer right? This guy on youtube said that head retention and lacing were the most important part of a beer. He HAS to be right, he made a 17 part saga on making a yeast starter. Just kidding guys.

Anyways, as for the carapils, it is for some head retention ad lacing due to the higher alcohol content/gravity of the beer. The hops were chosen for their different flavors. The Chinook has been replaced by Colombus Tomahawk 17.9%. Here is a breakdown of the flavors and why I chose each hop.

Columbus (Tomohawk) grapefruit, spicey
Cascade, floral and citrusy adding a citrus note to the Colombus
Millenium is merely for some added bitterness to get the IBU's up
Centennial for the floral and citrus notes again
Mt Hood, subtle yet has a spicyness that should bring back the Colombus flavor
The final Cascade just adds the aromas of the floral and citrus once again

It will be dry hopped as all of my IPA's. It's so second nature, I forgot to put it into beersmith. Probably an ounce of Hallertau and an ounce of Cascade. The Hallertau again to bring back the Colombus and the Cascade, well, to bring back the Cascade. I would like a tour of hops as I drink this beer slowly. Since opening my "pilot" brewery in my basement, I have made many types of beers and a lot of it. I am going for something a bit more sophisticated than the standard beers I make. This recipe will NOT be kegged. I was planning on bottling into champagne bottles with a dip in some hot wax. I have a nice Makers Mark wax stamp for signing up to be an ambassador online. They send cool stuff or xmas by the way. This will condition in the bottle until next december for christmas time (except for a few tasters). I like the white labs 011. It fits the bill as far as the number goes, but I don't think it will attenuate high enough and it doesn't have that high of an alcohol tolerance. I will probably go with the wlp001 due to the attenuation and alcohol tolerance. I can't believe they have a high grav that will do 25% abv. I might just do 110lbs to a 10 gallon batch of this if this IIPA works out well. This should be brewed on monday, so I'll keep y'all posted to the progress. Heck, I might even take a pic or two.

Ok, just ran some numbers I gotta do a 110 lbs to 15 gallons. If I break that down into 3 equal size batches but have the first batch be a lower grav beer as the website states, would I keep the IBU's the same for each batch at 110 ibu's?

Anyways, as for the carapils, it is for some head retention and lacing

which isn't necessary when you already have 6% crystal (which does the same), loads of hops (which improve head as well), and a high mash temp (basically does what carapils does). why are you mashing so high in an IIPA btw, they're meant to be dry and well attenuating. plus with the size of this you need a low mash temp to get the attenuation you want.

The hops were chosen for their different flavors.

you won't get any flavor out of the tomahawk, millenium or first cascade, they will only impart bitterness. even the centennial won't be adding much in the way of flavor, since most is boiled off by then.

It will be dry hopped as all of my IPA's... This will condition in the bottle until next december for christmas time (except for a few tasters).

then you're gunna have (nearly) all of your aroma faded and be rather a waste of hops.

Back