My centennials just stopped growing, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I've got 5 hop plants growing for the second year now. All of my hops are doing good except for the centennials. The centennials started out growing at the same pace as the others and then just completly slowed down at 4-5 feet. The centennials have the best sun too. They've only grown about 3" while the others have shot up another 2 feet. The plant seems to be fine but it just stopped gowing. Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions on what is going on.:drunk:

My centennials also stopped growing. I know they are getting plenty of water because my other hops have really taken off. What could be the problem?

this might answer my problem of my labels washing away. i have a centenial and a hallertau. the one is at about 10 feet. the one stopped after 3 feet.

I have a SAAZ that's doing the same thing. Last year(1st year) it never got more then a foot tall. This year (2nd year hops) it shot right up to 4 feet and then stopped. The other 9 plants have out grown the top of the ropes that are 15 feet up.
I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm right there with you. My 1st year cents started like gang busters compared to the Willamette. Then about a month later the Will caught up, now almost every will plant is growing like crazy and the cents have not grown an inch since.

Oddly they look very healthy, dark green leaves, no wilting or yellowing, they just don't grow?

I've fertilized with MG and both the wills and the cents have gotten the same treatment. I would have agreed that watering could have been my problem, though it doesn't make sense that they Wills would be growing like they are.

I don't know exactly what is going on, but I have seen this in my own plants. I've heard people refer to them as "sleepers". Supposedly, when they put up green and then suddenly stop its because they are working on root structure. As long as they are green and healthy looking, just keep pushing forward and they will start growing again some day.

This seems to have happened to my first year hallertauer. I have have 2 of them, one is approaching the 2 feet mark and going while the other sprouted to 4-5 inches, and then simply stopped for several weeks. But in the last few days, I noticed that the slow one is having some new growth again and I'm willing to bet it will catch up with the faster one a month from now. It makes sense that young vines can't support root expansion and plant growth at the same time. If one is happening, it's at the expense of the other. This probably means that the hallertauer which is growing faster probably will encounter trouble later due to an under developed root system.

Yep--my hallertauer started off well, grew to 6', and then just withered away.
I cut em back to the ground; waited for new sprouts; then dug up the rhizomes (large rhizomes) appeared to be in very good shape..., so I re-planted them--still waiting.
???
2md5v5u.jpg

My Centennials have done the same thing. They were the first up and grew strong for a few weeks then just kind of stopped growing. My Mt. Hood 5 feet away started slower but is now twice the height of the Centennial. The Mt. Hood is now about 8' tall.

Back