Real Ale Cellarmanship PDF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am all over this - maybe I will deliver a book report once I've read it . . . :p

I have already found some great stuff in those pages. It is good to know that CAMRA is not opposed to using a blanket of CO2 on top of a cask to prohibit oxidization. :mug:

sonvolt said:
I have already found some great stuff in those pages. It is good to know that CAMRA is not opposed to using a blanket of CO2 on top of a cask to prohibit oxidization. :mug:

I have a cask breather for this purpose and it is great.

CAMRA did a blind tasting on cask beer, a set with a cask breather, a set without and NO ONE could tell the difference.

Brewpastor . . . can you tell me where/how you acquired this cask breather? I have been dreaming up plans of making one that will work with my corny kegs. Can you post pics, etc? I am interested in seeing how it works.

I got mine from Banner Equipment. I don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't cheap, especially considering it is plastic! Yet I needed it for my engines. I pull off of cornies that are in a chest freezer. Works great. I will see about some photos, it may be a little while, the next week is going to be really busy, but I'll see what I can do. Remind me next week if you would.

I have a copy that someone from this board sent me a long time ago when I posted my DIY beer engine from an RV pump :D

Anyway . . . . pm me if you want it.

sonvolt said:
Brewpastor . . . can you tell me where/how you acquired this cask breather? I have been dreaming up plans of making one that will work with my corny kegs. Can you post pics, etc? I am interested in seeing how it works.

Sonvolt,

UK Brewing Supplies (www.ukbrewing.com) sells a cask breather. There's a picture of it on their website.

Cheers,
Paul

I got my breather from Banner http://bannerbeer.com/whs/product_info.php?products_id=122

It wasn't cheap but it was cheaper then UK Brewing. Also, Foxx Equipment sells something they call an in-line vacume breaker that looks like a breather, but I am not sure what it really is or does. It is MUCH cheaper then the breather I bought, but as I say, I have no idea if it is does the same thing or not.

To all who sent me a pm with your e-mail addy - check your inbox . . . you should be pleasantly surprised.

Has anyone here set up, or discussed setting up, a cask-conditioned rig in their home? Real ale from a proper pull tap is the best of all...is this too hard to contemplate? Too difficult or impractical for reasons I'm not aware of?

I have a set-up and it is great. The issue (after getting a proper pump) is air and beer and spoilage. I bought a Cask Breather which takes care of the problem, but there are other solutions. There is even a design for a DIY beer engine on this forum some place.

I have this book as well as earlier editions. At the risk of sounding a prat, it is copyrighted material. You can get a legal copy of the updated and revised edition here. Simple copyright means that just because it's somewhere on Teh Intarwebz doesn't mean it's okay for me to disseminate either the link or the original file.

And really, CAMRA should be getting our monetary support. They could use it. Besides, the new edition is worth it!

Bob

I have this book as well as earlier editions. At the risk of sounding a prat, it is copyrighted material. You can get a legal copy of the updated and revised edition here. Simple copyright means that just because it's somewhere on Teh Intarwebz doesn't mean it's okay for me to disseminate either the link or the original file.

And really, CAMRA should be getting our monetary support. They could use it. Besides, the new edition is worth it!

Bob

Fair enough. Although I poured a fair amount of student pounds into CAMRA coffers when I was a student in Scotland...oh, real ales a-go-go.

Latest posts

Back