meatloaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
I love meatloaf, and it gets the worst rap. No recipe, just what ever you have on hand, some chiles, garlic, cheese, bread, rice, garlic, whatever.

meatloaf smal.JPG

retro red smal.JPG

SWMBO makes a stellar meatloaf. It is so good that my sister claims that it saved her marriage! She tried nearly a dozen recipes without success and finally my BIL told her if she tries to feed him another meatloaf like that he was going to leave. She said just one more and got SWMBO's recipe. He liked it so much that he not only stayed, they have it at least once a month!

I love meatloaf. It all depends on what you put in it.... which is anything that sounds good to you. It is such a versatile dinner. I will make a meatloaf that tastes nothing like the one before, but still tastes awesome.

As odd as it sounds, I like a good amount of Oatmeal in mine. Not only is it economical, but it tastes good and lends moisture to the loaf. You can actually put quite a bit in there. You just mix in cooked whole Oats...but they shouldn't be mushy. I suppose you could try to add it dry as well, but you have to make sure you have enough moisture in it then.

Mum made tons ML back in the day for us kids. I mean I literally lived on that stuff and Mac-n-Cheez. These days, it's just not my first choice in a line-up.

I am just glad this is a thread about the food item and not the actor/singer.

If you like meatloaf try cooking it indirectly on the grill.... mmmmmm good.
The big guy doesn't like catsup on on the top of his before cooking so i substitute bacon. Bacon makes everything better.

But the question remains: What is the proper beer pairing with meatloaf?
Based on what it is, probably whatever you have in the fridge at the time!:D

"I would do anything for love. Oh, I would do anything for love. Yes I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."

-Meatloaf

SWMBO makes a stellar meatloaf. It is so good that my sister claims that it saved her marriage! She tried nearly a dozen recipes without success and finally my BIL told her if she tries to feed him another meatloaf like that he was going to leave. She said just one more and got SWMBO's recipe. He liked it so much that he not only stayed, they have it at least once a month!
Well I say the recipe must be posted then.

Thanks for the motivation!

I make mine simple but use Altons glaze :)

For the glaze:

* 1/2 cup catsup
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* Dash Worcestershire sauce
* Dash hot pepper sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

But the question remains: What is the proper beer pairing with meatloaf?
Based on what it is, probably whatever you have in the fridge at the time!:D

I took the question seriously, because I'm a huge dork.

Porter of some kind is very nice with a mild meatloaf. When it's chocked full of chilies and spices I like a nice IPA.

*shakes head* I'm such a tard....

Back