Wow, that's a violent fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
This weekend I had some friends over to brew a Mulberry Wheat. Mulberries grow wildly on the street around here, in another couple weeks the sidewalks are going to be stained purple. So we decided to go for a complete experimentation to see what we come up with.

Recipe roughly as follows:

4lb 2 row
4lb wheat malt
1lb honey malt
1/2lb dextrine
(mash 157 for an hour)

Celementine peels - 60 min
1oz hallertau - 60 min
1/2oz hallertau - 20 min
1/2oz hallertau - 0 min.

OG= ~1.049
Yeast - White Labl WLP300.
Will puree, strain, and quickly boil maybe a pound of fresh mulberries and add to secondary in a week or so.

Anyways, so I got it all set brewed - the wort tasted pretty good & seemed to be what I was going for - and added the yeast. Usually within a couple hours, there's at least a noticeable pressure build up in the fermentation vessel, but this time, there was nothing. This was disappointing because I like to watch the air lock bubble; it's comforting (yes, Revvy I know that air lock activity is not a sign of fermentation or lack thereof).

I let it sit over night and when I got up in the morning to check on it... holy crap. I've never seen my airlock bubbling so violently. Usually, I'll get a couple bubbles then it'll stop for half a second then bubble again. Quiet, but consistent. This time it was just a constant stream of air. I took off the airlock to put in a blow off tube instead. While doing so I could feel the air streaming out of the hole in the lid.

I've never had that happen before. I'm not really concerned other than maybe I'm fermenting a little too warm, since it's giving off a noticeable banana aroma but I don't really care, besides that seems to be common for the strain.

Try making mulberry wine too. Great for dessert. Even the jam tastes like a sweet wine. Like to see what it's like in a wheat ale.:mug:

I thought about doing the same. Mulberries rock! Please let us know how it turns out.

Back