Carbonation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Quickie question on carbonation temperature.....

Normally I put my bottled beer in my upstair office in the closet to carbonate....but decided to put in my basement which is in the range of
65-68 F. Only reason being that I have (4) 5-gallon batches and cannot load them up in my office...hahah

Is this to cool of an area for carbonation? Or will it maybe just take a little longer to carbonate?

I plan on testing a beer each week to see how it progresses as an experiment.

65 - 68F is probably OK for carbonation, but it will take a bit longer. However, I question your assumption that your basement really is in that temperature range. I can't imagine that your basement temperature would be very different than mine, but last time I measured it (about 1 minute ago) it was 57F. I put the thermometer in a case of beer that was resting on the floor. 57F is probably too cold for carbonation.

-a.

Thanks....thats what I figured....

But...yes, it is actually 66F in my basement right now. Checked with (2) dfferent thermometers

It will take a little longer...those few degrees may not mean much to us but to the yeasties it does. So expect it to take a week or more longer than it would at 70.

Back