Sour Saison fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing an Imperial Saison in the very near future. From what I have heard it is pretty tough to get the Saison yeast to dry out the beer all by it's lonesome. I know many pitch an american ale strain to finish it up but I am going to pitch the Wyeast belgian lambic blend to let the bugs bring it down and dry it out.
The question here is how long does it take for the bugs to do what they do? I have really dialed in my system and I make some damn fine beers these days but the sour route is one I have not taken. any and all advice/suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Chris

In my limited experience, it takes bug a realtively short amount of time to ferment 80-90% of what they are going to do, and it will be sour. However, it takes a considerably longer time to go that last 10-20% and develop the flavors commonly associated with sour beers.

All in all, I think what you are doing is a good idea, and I have a feeling you get results you are happy with in a relatively short amount of time.

I did this exact same thing Saison yeast and belgian lambic blend at the same time. It has been fermenting for around a month... it seems like the brett flavor is overpowering the saison flavors. I plan on bottling in a few weeks...

Right on! Thanks fot the imput. I am looking for a sour tang to go with the citrus flavor in the beer. Nothing to over the top. I think the residual sugars left after primary fermentation should give me a nice sour note to go with it after the bugs finish up.

I didn't get you info until after I posted Nealf. What was your OG? Also, what was your reading when you pitched the bugs?

Back