What do you want in a beer blog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting a blog about beer/homebrewing. Essentially it will be about:

1. Brewing beers
2. Sampling/Reviewing beers
3. Learning more about beer in order to become a BJCP judge

What kinds of things make you want to read and keep reading a blog?

millsware said:
I'm going to be starting a blog about beer/homebrewing. Essentially it will be about:

1. Brewing beers
2. Sampling/Reviewing beers
3. Learning more about beer in order to become a BJCP judge

What kinds of things make you want to read and keep reading a blog?

In order for a blog to interest me it would need to contain humor and interesting stories. Just be sure to include funny tidbits about things goins wrong, or getting drunk and people will pay attention to all the other agenda.

Real life stories of problems, issues, solutions, etc. These can give readers good examples to relate to, rather than just technical jargon that gets boring and is difficult to relate to the reader's own brewing experiences.

Tips and tricks would also be good, whether beer-style specific or brewing in general.

Nice start..My first post would be

How to drink a beer ?

what are all the dishes we can have while drinking beer ?

what is an apt TV channel ?

How to select friends for beer drinking?

Talking politics is good or bad while drinking beer ? etc., I would love to write anything with beer.

I personally like to read blogs about good recipes and how they were brewed. And I like to read posts from over a year ago so I can see how things have progressed if they add tasting notes.

And like they said, add the tips, tricks, lots of pics and dont be afraid to blog when you f(&k something up.

I started mine this year as a brewing journal. Having all the recipes in a notebook is one thing, but it's nice to record the experience of the brewday and put a few pictures to keep the memory fresh.

I also post tasting notes of both my brews and commercial examples and I've talked to a couple of friends that are also BJCP judges about doing commercial calibration scoring for local beers similar to what they do in Zymurgy.

-chuck

I write a few blogs (non beer but brewing is mentioned - a lot of drunken landscaping) and the one thing MOST blogs are are boring - the reason is that they are all facts. A good blog will have your personal thoughts, discoveries, ideas, conquests and disappointments.

This is the way you get readers because people will live their lives through you. By showing that you are not a robot people feel that what THEY do, their conquests and disappointments are not abnormal but normal.

I have had my main blog for 3 years with 528,000 hits! People love train wreaks (like when my buddy and I felt a wheel barrow was too heavy so we each took one side . . . lasted almost 1/4 second - no injuries). After that incident I had a lot of comments from other people that had made fools of themselves.

Or when I was brewing two pots of wort on the stove at once (for a full boil) and they both boiled over at the same time!! (There is some timing involved with boiling two at once).

Make it you personal discovery.

http://publicenemiescolumbus.blogspot.com/

Back