I am ready for some brews again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
after couple months break. I usually buy from LHBS with my recipe on hand. This time I'd like to try "recipe kit" from AustinHB.com where everything for 5 gals is included pre-calculated. Good price (surprisingly cheap), convenient...

Did anyone try these "kit" before? Would you recommend, or I should stick to DME with my LHBS with a printed recipe on hand?

I am talking about extract brewing, and I like ales. Thank you for any inputs.

I bought a "Fat Tire" kit from AHB. Great kit, good price. It had fresh ingredients. That particular kit was mostly LME, and lots of crushed steeping grains. We're drinking it now, and liked it so much I ordered another. The only thing I would caution is liquid yeast. You can buy an ice pack with it (which I did) but by the time it got to me in Michigan, the ice pack was warm and the yeast felt very warm to the touch. It did work, but I ordered dry yeast the next time. This summer, I think it's just too hot in Texas and other places on the way to expect the yeast to stay cool for the 5 day trip.
I've also used these Brewer's Best kits: Octoberfest (as an ale, not a lager), Red Ale, English Brown Ale. They were about $25 each with all ingredients included, even the dry yeast.
I would recommend either company's kits. I've been very happy with them.

Lorena

I've done five kits (mini-mash) from austin. I'm impressed; good prices, fast service, huge selection, OG right on the money and their clones are dead-on.

I did a Kolsch AG kit from them and the instructions are step by step. Great stuff. I'm glad to be living in Austin.

Now I just need some beer to hurry up and age so I can keg em and free up some secondary fermenters.

Austin Home Brew Rocks!:rockin:

I love AHB's kits. I get extract with specialty grains, the various extracts come in one big plastic bucket for easy dumping, and all the grains come in a sealed grain bag ready to toss in the pot. The Belgian Wit seems to be very good, and I haven't had a cold, carbed one yet. I really want to try the Lemon Grass one they have, but I think I'll wait for spring for that one.

so do their basic extract kit come with specialty grains, or do I need the mini mash?

987654321 said:
so do their basic extract kit come with specialty grains, or do I need the mini mash?

Extract kits come with grains in a grain bag.

(Edit) Note that yeast is NOT included in the base price, you must select a yeast option.

I just ordered from them, haven't brewed them yet - but the service is excellent. Quick delivery & nice looking product.

Previously, I have ordered from Alternative Beverage - and they too have great products. You may want to check out their monthly specials - pretty good deals on some extract brews. You can check them out on www.ebrew.com

Latest posts

Back