DIY Custom Crown Caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie

Reaction score
So after many hours of trial and error, I finally got what I think are respectable/legit looking custom crown caps that I made with my inkjet printer (laser would work as well I think) and a few other ingredients. What I love about the process I used, is that as long as you can print your image within 1 square inch, the possibilities are endless. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions... I know there are a few people on the board who are interested in custom crown caps.
IMG_5247-1.jpg

Ha, I was afraid someone would ask. I was going to get around to writing a step-by-step, but essentially...
-Print mirror images onto a sheet of paper (I have limited experience so far, but I think the kind you use matters)
-Cut them out into 1x1 inch squares
-Apply a thin layer of acrylic medium onto the cap
-Place the image down onto the cap and burnish lightly
-Wait a few seconds and remove the paper
-Rub and wash off any leftover paper
-Lacquer

Probably not something you'd do for an entire batch, but they add a nice finishing touch, especially for presentation purposes. I think once you got the hang of it, it wouldn't be much of a chore.

That might be one of the top 5 greatest things I have seen in my life! Please tell us how you did this!!!

Crafty process and all, but you can get something like 300 clear printable circle labels for $7...

Circular Labels - Round Labels - Circle Label- lip Balm Labels - Laser & Inkjet Labels - OL5275 - 0.75" Circle - 108 Labels Per Sheet

Yeah, I've used the circular labels before, but I just wanted to take it to the next level. I used circular labels when I needed to differentiate between batches before I discovered colored caps online. I think the labels definitely have their place, but sometimes I'm just not satisfied with "good enough"...haha

Yea what hes doing is Acrylic Transfers. you use them to make abstracts and collages. you can transfer onto pretty much anything even bottle caps ..

there are a few youtube vids on how to do it.

Yea what hes doing is Acrylic Transfers. you use them to make abstracts and collages. you can transfer onto pretty much anything even bottle caps ..

there are a few youtube vids on how to do it.

Exactly. I certainly didn't pioneer the technique, but for the life of me, I couldn't find anything with decent instructions regarding acrylic transfers onto metal (plenty for cloth and paper). I had to try all kinds of different methods and materials until I found one that was reliable and repeatable. It's not for everyone, but a few people might like to take advantage of it .

I am very interested in this how long till you get a detailed instruction on here?

I'll try and get something up this evening. At the very least, I should be able to write a detailed description of each step, but I'd like to be able to get some pics in with it as well. It's hard to take pics and perform the steps at the same time. Stayed tuned...

OK, as promised, here are the steps I take to place an image seamlessly onto a crown cap like these for a blonde ale I have yet to brew...
1.jpg

Required Materials:
-Golden Matte Medium
-Heavyweight Presentation Paper (Matte Finish)
-Light Colored Bottle Caps (Silver, Gold, White, Yellow, etc)
*At least for ink-jet images, the ink is transparent, so it's advisable to stick to lighter colored caps to better see the image.

I first start by designing and printing an arrangement of images smaller than 1x1 inch square in photo or best quality mode. The bolder the image, the better. Also remember to print the image mirrored since it will be inverted onto the cap.

I use the acrylic matte medium pictured below to paint a thin layer on the blank cap...
4.jpg

This 8oz bottle will probably last me a lifetime...ha.

Center and press the square on the cap. I use a burnisher to evenly press the image across the cap surface...
6.jpg

After about 5 minutes, you can place the cap under running water and begin to lightly rub the paper off...
8.jpg

The reason the image stays on the cap and doesn't wash away is why it is important to use the kind of paper I did and not regular ol' copy paper (I tried). There must be a coating that protects the acrylic from re-emulsifying under the running water. When most of the paper is removed, you may need to examine it briefly under a light to make sure there is no more paper pulp left over...any left on the cap will poke through the lacquer that goes on next.

Here you can see a before and after lacquering...
10.jpg

You might be able to see a few bits of acrylic build-up along the edges...they should be carefully scraped off with a thumbnail or something before lacquering for the same reasons as the bits of paper pulp.

I just use a spray lacquer from Home Depot and apply one heavy coat from all sorts of angles around the cap(s), being careful not to let it run. In 20 minutes it is dry to the touch.

I assume the lacquer will help it to hold up to submersion in water, sanitizing with something like Starsan solution, and regular handling. I wouldn't try to boil them... a practice I'm not a big fan of anyway.

That's about all there is to it. It may seem like quite a bit of work just for a cap, but eventually, you get the system down and do sort of an assembly line procedure... the time per cap gets greatly reduced. I had a ton more pics to include, but there seems to be a limit of 4 images, even if they are hosted somewhere else...oh well. I'd be happy to answer any specific question anyone might have that might not have been answered in this post. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks Hokie for the prompt response. One more question where do you get the Golden Matte Finish?

So after many hours of trial and error, I finally got what I think are respectable/legit looking custom crown caps that I made with my inkjet printer (laser would work as well I think) and a few other ingredients. What I love about the process I used, is that as long as you can print your image within 1 square inch, the possibilities are endless. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions... I know there are a few people on the board who are interested in custom crown caps.
CustomCrowns.JPG

Looks great, except for the Hokie symbols! (uva alum here :p) Thanks for the step-by-step, any problems with ink scratching off when you cap the bottle?

Thanks Hokie for the prompt response. One more question where do you get the Golden Matte Finish?

I got mine from an art supply store called Ultrecht, but the stuff is very common as far as art materials go, so you may be able to find it at a number of craft stores. It is used to thin out acrylic paints or add a dull finish to glossy acrylics. I think there are other brands of matte medium as well, but this works well, so I don't feel the need to try anything else. Obviously, it is all over the internet as well.

Looks great, except for the Hokie symbols! (uva alum here :p) Thanks for the step-by-step, any problems with ink scratching off when you cap the bottle?

UVA huh? I won't hold it against you..ha
Anyway, here is a pic of one of the first caps capped on a bottle using a wing-type capper...
capped.JPG

That ring you might see is not visible to the naked eye, but for some reason, the flash and lighting must have accentuated it. The pic does definitely show that the ink is safe even after capping.

Thanks for the tutorial and the research to make these caps!

Now I've got 'another' project to work on.....

Thanks for the tutorial and the research to make these caps!

Now I've got 'another' project to work on.....

I'm more than happy to contribute to the community. I figure I could give back in exchange for all the helpful things I've learned on HBT. I'd love to see anyone else's posted here if they are successful.

This is a great idea, I may only do it for the few beers I give out now and then (most people just come to my house) for flare. Thanks for doing all of the hard work.

UVA huh? I won't hold it against you..ha
Anyway, here is a pic of one of the first caps capped on a bottle using a wing-type capper...
capped.JPG

That ring you might see is not visible to the naked eye, but for some reason, the flash and lighting must have accentuated it. The pic does definitely show that the ink is safe even after capping.
Thanx for sharing the how to should come in real handy for special batches.

Is it necessary to lacquer it at the end? If not will the graphic just scratch off?

It will definitely scratch off, there's no question about it. Also, since both materials being applied to the cap are matte, the resulting image is initially dull and sticks out like a sore thumb against the brushed or glossy cap (depending on the type you use).

I'm more than happy to contribute to the community. I figure I could give back in exchange for all the helpful things I've learned on HBT.
This is a fantastic contribution :rockin: . Those yellow caps are the absolute tits - thanks for sharing!

Can anyone confirm that this works with laser printers? I have a access to a color laser and would like to use that.

Can anyone confirm that this works with laser printers? I have a access to a color laser and would like to use that.

I can't confirm with 100% certainty, but in theory there is no reason it *shouldn't* work. In fact, I had plans to test out different techniques specifically with a laser printer including:
1. Will printing lighter shades of color be visible on top of dark colored caps (again, in theory, it should work since the toner is opaque)
2. Could I print a laser image (say black) and fill in certain white spaces with metallic ink by hand (such as the Sharpies used to sign sports memorabilia) and have the image transfer.

I have access to a laser printer today, but unfortunately, I forgot to bring the presentation paper I use. Incidentally, in case anyone was wondering exactly what paper I used, it was from Costco and came in a 150 pack (I got it a loooong time ago unfortunately, but it should last me a lifetime as well as the 8oz bottle of matte medium).

This weekend, I may try to get access to a lase printer if I can and report back unless someone beats me to the punch.

Back