my new portable toy for draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatleetboy

Reaction score
well...

I finally got a chance to use my new personal portable potables device this weekend (a long weekend here in the Great White North), as I had seen other folks make all kinds of great draft machines. I found a Igloo 70qt MaxCold Ice Cube at Costco, big enough to hold two 3 gallon cornies and a 2.5# CO2 tank.

The orange bag has four trays of ice cubes in it, kept everything more than cold enough. Had some challenges figuring out a pressure to dispense at, numbers seemed to be a little higher than normal. The telescoping handle worked fine, it rolls on its wheels, and travels upright in the passenger seat of my CRV. Used a tea towel for a drip tray: glassware sat on the towel for the best pour.

All in all, it was a great success....

portabeer1.jpg

portabeer2.jpg

portabeer3.jpg

portabeer4.jpg

Nice job!! Looks awesome! You're gonna make quite a few people on here jealous with that. I'm one of them. :mug:

That looks great! I have a traveling Ice Cube and can only fit a 3 gallon corny. The wheel well keeps the 2nd 3 gallon corny too high to shut the lid let alone clip on two QDs. How were you able to fit 2 3s in there? I need to know cuz I wanted to take two beers with me this weekend to the cinders. (Northern AZ quad area).

TIA,
Wild

Luckily, I had the benefit of advice from others who went before me... (what did we do before the internet?) I was told that the lid had to be the domed lid, the flat one doesn't work. (and it doesn't, I tried!) The 60qt cooler isn't big enough either, it has to be the new 70qt model. I hope it works out for you!

Cheers

wild said:
That looks great! I have a traveling Ice Cube and can only fit a 3 gallon corny. The wheel well keeps the 2nd 3 gallon corny too high to shut the lid let alone clip on two QDs. How were you able to fit 2 3s in there? I need to know cuz I wanted to take two beers with me this weekend to the cinders. (Northern AZ quad area).

thatleetboy said:
I was told that the lid had to be the domed lid, the flat one doesn't work.
Too late now unless I can order the domed lid or my other option would be to get my hands on a 2.5 gallon corny. Maybe that'll work.

Thanks,
Wild

thatleetboy said:
I was told that the lid had to be the domed lid, the flat one doesn't work.
Is this the lid that you have? If it is that'd be cheeper than the 2.5 gallon corny by far.

Thanks,
Wild

Thanks for all the praise, I am pretty thrilled with it.

As far as the lid goes, I don't know if you can swap out a flat for a domed on the same cooler. (Maybe buy a new cooler, try it, and if it doesn't work, return the whole thing?) I was thinking of ordering that spare lid from igloo, so I can swap out the lids in case I need to put the cooler in the back (there's not enough height with the tower attached.)

Cheers

That looks great!
We should start brainstorming on a diy travel system for small quantities.

kornkob said:
where did you get those tap handles. Those rock

X2. Honestly that is the first thing I thought of when I saw this. EdWort uses the 70qt. cooler, but I had no idea you could fit two cornies in there.

Dude had posted a system of pressurizing a 2 litre growler, that seemed like a killer "small quantity" travel system.

EDIT:
636-growlertap.jpg
[/IMG]

Back