How is the Sierra Nevada ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
didn't know they made one and was shopping at Kroger today and saw it but was hesitant.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I really love it, although it seems my local market is completely out now. I'm already a fan of their american pale ale. The ESB is maltier than a pale ale but has a nice hoppiness to it. I love it even more than the pale ale. Give it a try!

I really didn't like it when I tried it, but reading everyone else's review on it, I must have gotten a bad batch, it had no flavor at all, it really tasted like a BMC.

I drank a six pack of it and thought it was great. Slighty maltier than the pale ale, and i believe it is a little stronger as well. Very good.

Yes I enjoyed it, guess the ABV is high though as it knocked me for a loop two nights ago! :rockin:

Yeah, got a sixer a couple weeks ago, amazing beer, I loved it. Great bitterness at the start but finished with a nice malty sweetness. I think it is my new fav SN beer.

I enjoyed it, as I enjoy most Sierra Nevada brews..but is it me or are all of thier brews pretty much the exact same? I honestly don't taste a huge difference from one of their recipes to another.

I actually had this yesterday. I liked it. It is actually somewhat different from their other stuff. It is not as big on the American hop character, not big on the citrusy hop flavor. Worth a try but not something I am running out to buy more of.

Dude said:
I enjoyed it, as I enjoy most Sierra Nevada brews..but is it me or are all of thier brews pretty much the exact same? I honestly don't taste a huge difference from one of their recipes to another.
I liked it as I like most of their stuff. I don't think it is as good as most of their other offereings. I really liked the IPA and anniversary ale they did. Of course I don't ever get tired of their old classic celebration ale.

I really like it - it has a great balance of malts and hops: something for everyone. It is definitely my favorite SN brew. I have been drinking it all week while waiting for my new batch to be ready.

I bought a six pack last week being a Sierra Nevada fan myself and once again I wasn't let down. Funny thing was that same night a buddy of mine called and said he just picked up "something special". 30 minutes later, I'm enjoying a Bigfoot barleywine with him. It had been at least 3 years since I've had one, and I missed it for sure.:tank:

I tried a bottle myself recently, and at first I wasn't impressed, but as the beer warmed a bit and I got to the bottom half of the pint the flavor really started to come through and I found it very delicious. I think I might need to turn down my fridge a hair though as sitting here thinking about it, that's not the only time the bottom half has been better than the top...

My local market has all their SN varieties as well as Dogfish on sale this week. I had the ESB in hand, but put it back to grab Dogfish 90 Min IIPA instead. Looks like I have to go back tomorrow for the ESB!

I was quite pleased with the ESB. I also found it on the malty side (as expected) and lacking the floral hoppiness (no Cascade) in other SN brews, with a much earthier hop flavor.

SN says Goldings, Challenger, East Kent Goldings, and Crystal hops, which would explain the lack of floral aroma.

Back