First kit brew - about to bottle. Ignore the instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilS

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I'm going to have a crack at bottling a bitter (from a Young's Brew Buddy kit, if that helps) that's been sitting in primary for three and a bit weeks. I've been getting loads of great advice from this forum and a lot of it seems to be basically "ignore the kit instructions" - which I've done by giving it more than 6 days in primary!

Am I right in thinking that the instructions to keep the bottled beer warm for two days then move it somewhere cool to clear for a couple of weeks should be ignored too? From what I've read this won't give it long enough to carb properly...

Thanks in advance!

It will continue to carb somewhere "cool" as long as we arent talking say sub 65 depending on the yeast. the lower temps will help the yeast flock out quicker, but I agree that seems too soon for that.

What temp are you planning on holding it at for the initial days? I hold mine room temp for about 2 weeks, and sometimes they stay there after that, sometimes they head to the cooler basement. Depends on how fast I plan on drinking them.

You're right though, I would ignore those instructions. How long do they say until you should try one?

The instructions imply that it's good to go after two weeks in the bottle...

As far as temps go, the only place I've got to store it that's not a heated room is a utility / storage area that gets really cold, especially at this time of year.

You should be good at room temp until they are carbed, and then to fridge or shed if you want to move them after they carb. If not just find a spot for them that is room temp and you should be fine.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

They need to stay in room temp environment, around 70 degrees for 3 weeks for proper conditioning. Then move them to the fridge for 2 days, 1 week in fridge is better, 2 weeks is best for head retention.

Edit: Revvy was posting at the same time, listen to revvy

I keep my bottles of beer at 72 and after 3+ weeks in the primary they often are very clear within 2 days of being bottled. I tend to open one at a week to see how they are coming along and I've had some that were fully carbed and very good tasting but I wouldn't go so far as to say that that is the ideal amount of time. It's your beer so you can try one early if you want to but if it isn't the best beer you have ever tasted, leave the rest for another week or more. Lighter colored beers tend to mature fairly quickly while darker ones take longer.

Back