Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
My beer is in its secondry nearly 2 week now its around 15c (daytime)
Before i bulk prime should i warm it up a little to dissolve the sugers etc and give it a stir? say about 22c
Thanks Daza

Daznz said:
My beer is in its secondry nearly 2 week now its around 15c (daytime)
Before i bulk prime should i warm it up a little to dissolve the sugers etc and give it a stir? say about 22c
Thanks Daza
yes, the sugar will dissolve more readily in a room temperature liquid.

You don't need to stir it, just put your boiled sugar/DME in the bottling bucket before racking- it will mix just fine.

Daznz said:
Thanks for that.... the DME must bring in some nice flavors

This is highly debatable: the priming sugar represents such a small fraction of the overall fermentable sugars in the final product that it's not obvious that you'd taste the difference.

I usually use corn sugar. I have used DME, and the result is somehow different, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as tasting different. It's more like the bubbles feel different on my tongue.

I'm aware that the science involved probably does not support this observation at all.

cweston said:
This is highly debatable: the priming sugar represents such a small fraction of the overall fermentable sugars in the final product that it's not obvious that you'd taste the difference...I'm aware that the science involved probably does not support this observation at all.
I can agree or disagree with any of those points, but in the end it's all about our opinions, as well as to stir or not to stir any way...:D

At least I've never complained about my beers carbonation levels not being consistant because I chose to stir, bottle some, re-stir and bottle some more, and stir again.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I usually mix 3/4 C of Corn Sugar or 1.25 C DME (whichever one you choose) in 1-2 C water and boil for 5 mins and let cool before adding to the brew. Be sure to stir it in really good.

One point that hasn't been made here that boiling the sugar will also sanitize it and lower the risk of infection. That's why I always boiled the priming sugar in water before I added it to the bottling bucket.

Kai

...got my back, huh?...:drunk:

The boiling certainly does sanitize the sugar and the water, but another reason you would want to pre-dissolve your sugar (by boiling it) is that it saves time. Have you ever tried adding sugar to an iced tea? The sugar just drifts down to the bottom of the glass and sits there. That's because it's too cold to dissolve. Boiling it solves that problem.

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
I have never stired mine and I get plenty of carb.
;)

yeah i dont stir, i think the net movement of sugar molecules will move down the concentration gradient untill equilibrium is reached.

homebrewer_99 said:
I can agree or disagree with any of those points, but in the end it's all about our opinions, as well as to stir or not to stir any way...:D

At least I've never complained about my beers carbonation levels not being consistant because I chose to stir, bottle some, re-stir and bottle some more, and stir again.:D

And that is why you're able to RDWHAH. Keep doing what works for ya. :mug:

I'm paranoid about everything with brewing, so I give mine a little stir after about every 10 bottles I fill, or so.

Back