Way low final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Reaction score
I split a 2L Wyeast greenbelt starter between 2 batches. The batches were the same recipe with some minor variations, both extract with specialty grains.

On one of them I added a 3lb can of cherry Puree. The non-cherry started out at 1.053 and the cherry started at 1.059.

I kegged the non-cherry last week at FG 1.013 and let the cherry stay in secondary longer to clear out any of the cherry that was left. I sampled the cherry just now and it is 1.006 (at 60F on a 60F calibrated hydrometer).

I've never had a beer ferment this low, regardless of time in secondary. It was still bubbling in secondary and I thought it was kind of strange but this is like 90% AA which pretty much sucked any sweetness out of it (and with a large hop bill it is pretty bitter)

I know Greenbelt isn't a widely used yeast but has anyone seen this much disparity from the same yeast in the same starter across 2 batches?

How much fluid would you say the cherry puree was? Cherry puree is going to be a lot of water combined with mostly 100% fermentable sugars, both of which would decrease the final gravity.
How much cherry flavor comes out?

How much fluid would you say the cherry puree was? Cherry puree is going to be a lot of water combined with mostly 100% fermentable sugars, both of which would decrease the final gravity.
How much cherry flavor comes out?

Probably half a gallon...

no cherry taste at all (the puree honestly didn't taste much like cherry anyway)

This thing is so dry and bitter I'm calling the experiment a fail, I'm just wondering why it fermented so low.

I suspect the other beer (which tastes great, but I'm a crazy hophead - 120ish IBU's at 5.5% abv) wasn't really done fermenting before I kegged.

I guess the lesson is keg when the gravity is what I want it to be and don't let it keep going :X

That could backfire though. You can chill the beer to make the yeast dormant but if it comes back to room temp for to long you can end up with a mess on you counter. I had a growler break last year.

Have you considered letting the one with cherries age to see if some of the hop bitterness decreases? Perhaps some residual cherry could come back if the hop punch softens. I wouldn't count it a failure, just not done.

Back